Motorcycle Helmets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need a new one.

Had a KBC and a Nolan N90.

The KBC was okay. It fit well, was comfortable, not too noisy, didn't fall apart after 3 years of heavy use, the visor didn't distort images to look all wavy, but it did start to give things a rainbow coloration, but it didn't scratch.

The Nolan, I really wanted to like this helmet and at first I did. A lot. It has the N-com cut out, though I didn't use it. More comfy and more quite than the KBC. The visor(s) haven't gone rainbow. No distortion at all. It has an internal flip up tinted visor, a clear visor and an anti fog insert. There's the problem.

The tinted visor is being scratched by something inside the helmet. It's getting so bad that it inhibits my vision. The anti-fog insert has also scratched the clear visor. It's way up out of my line of sight, but if I look just right (just wrong?) I catch some light glare from streetlights at night. Once a helmet gets to where you can't see right, it's time for a new one. I've had this one about 1 1/2 years. Never crashed in or dropped.

Requirements

Modular. I wear glasses and have not found a non modular full face that goes on right without twisting my glasses all up on my face or is not very difficult (impossible) to put my glasses on right after putting on the helmet. I wear wire rim flexible frames, so it's not the glasses.

Tinted flip up visor. The UV protection in visors stop my glasses from tinting. I ride day and night. Swapable visors are a pita.

DOT approved. SNELL doesn't approve of modulars.

I ride with a HJC full face helmet. I am always wearing either sunglasses, clear safety glasses, or my prescription glasses. I just put them on after my helmet, the sun glasses are really comfortable.

To me, having the Snell M2010 rating is worth the extra effort compared to a modular helmet.

Zuljin said:
I need a new one.

Had a KBC and a Nolan N90.

The KBC was okay. It fit well, was comfortable, not too noisy, didn't fall apart after 3 years of heavy use, the visor didn't distort images to look all wavy, but it did start to give things a rainbow coloration, but it didn't scratch.

The Nolan, I really wanted to like this helmet and at first I did. A lot. It has the N-com cut out, though I didn't use it. More comfy and more quite than the KBC. The visor(s) haven't gone rainbow. No distortion at all. It has an internal flip up tinted visor, a clear visor and an anti fog insert. There's the problem.

The tinted visor is being scratched by something inside the helmet. It's getting so bad that it inhibits my vision. The anti-fog insert has also scratched the clear visor. It's way up out of my line of sight, but if I look just right (just wrong?) I catch some light glare from streetlights at night. Once a helmet gets to where you can't see right, it's time for a new one. I've had this one about 1 1/2 years. Never crashed in or dropped.

Requirements

Modular. I wear glasses and have not found a non modular full face that goes on right without twisting my glasses all up on my face or is not very difficult (impossible) to put my glasses on right after putting on the helmet. I wear wire rim flexible frames, so it's not the glasses.

Tinted flip up visor. The UV protection in visors stop my glasses from tinting. I ride day and night. Swapable visors are a pita.

DOT approved. SNELL doesn't approve of modulars.

I have a nolan and know exactly what you are talking about with the antifog visor. It costs a heck of a lot less to replace the visors than the helmet though. I went just over a year one 1 visor and this new one has been running 2 years without the issue comming up again.

I'd look into a new visor and either talk with someone about the tinted shield being scratched or see if others online have fixed the problem.

I can't help you guys out. I'm rocking this.
!B68Bg8QBWk~$(KGrHqN,!jMEzKg5pjb7BMyw8nbvVw~~_35.JPG

I have a Scorpion EXO, XXXL Sucks having a giant noggin at times.

Clear visor, not a scratch after 2 years of heavy use. I ride probably 250+ days a year. I also slip on sunglasses once the helmet is on. Using sun glasses with my helmet hasn't been an issue for me at all.

Before this I had a HJC that I just wore out, pretty good helmet though. As for the modular helmets, I have heard reports that they are quite noisy. But I don't have any first hand knowledge.
Are your glasses auto tinting?

I've gone through 3 scorpions and I'm currently on a Shoei. All good units. I'm a year round rider as well. My sunglasses seem to fit better than my regular glasses but my glasses fit just fine. Took a little practice to get them to sit right. If i put them on before i cinch up the chin strap its a little easier to get them situated correctly.

For modulars my brother is wearing the scorpian modular and seems to really like it. This one can be a 3/4 or modular and has the cutouts for Coms as well.

Yes on auto tint.

I haven't rode with a non modular full face, but have heard the same; that they are quieter than the mods. The many ff I tried on just didn't jive for my spectacles. It's the cheek pads.

Anyone try G-Max? My wife has one and she likes it, but really, she only rides with me a few times a year and not very far. Hers is too small for me.

Rise, zombie thread! The :goat: commands you!

I wound up with a Gmax. Great helmet for a great price. Especially great since, as some of you know, I crashed in it and totally lived. Got right up and rode away. Not very far away, what with the bike all mangled up, but still.

I've had two Bilt helmets since then. Both sucked. What sucked? Yes. Everything. Okay, the visors were perfectly clear, just one of them didn't stay fully attached to the helmet. And loud. Louder than no helmet. Seriously. They sucked.

Anyway. No one local sells Gmax now. Thinking of Bell or the Nolan N44 or N91. The N44 has me wondering. That chin bar looks lacking.

I've had Bell helmets. While I don't really have any complaints, and they were overall good helmets, they were really nothing special either in my opinion.

I use a HJC IS-33. It's been a good helmet for me....I do take the face shield off in the summertime though.

I tried on many and for me it ended up being a Shoei Multitec for best fit and comfort on my melon. I wear glasses too, and I haven't found any one that's particularly glasses friendly, but at least it's easier with the modular.

Bell Drifter, when I do wear one at all. Expensive for a half helm, but it's the only one I've found that fits me comfortably.

I've also an HJC modular somethingoranother that has a heavy layer of dust on it.

Back