Motorcycle Enthusiasts/Magazine information

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a friend who recently went to prison, and will be moving to Dept of Corrections after leaving County. There he will be able to get magazines. He is a very smart guy (save the comments about intelligence level and prison inmates please), and is going to try to learn as much as he can while doing 2 years.

He called me yesterday and mentioned he used to read a magazine called Car Craft. From what he tells me , it was more of a modding, "how to", step-by-step upgrade type of magazine for American Musclecars. He got his motorcycle license a year ago or so, and he asked me to look into if there was some kind of motorcycle enthusiast magazine, that is similar to Car Craft.

He is not looking for the motorcycle equivalent of Motortrend or car and driver. I used to read motorcycle world and cycle world, where they would just review bikes and show off cool ones. I am not looking for something like that. Does anyone know if such a magazine exists? Also, nothing Harley related, looking for more sport bike type of stuff.

Thanks!

I was just doing some googling, because although I'm not a motorcycle person I remember seemed to be a lot of those magazines in the 70's but I couldn't remember specific names. There use to be a lot more How to mags in general than there are now. But Googling I came across what appears to be 2 magazines that might be in line with what he'd enjoy.

Check out their websites and see if the mags themselves seem worth it. Ironworks Magazine.

This one looks really cool, but I think it's British so I don't know if it could be subscribed to in the states (check out their archives) Back Street Heroes Magazine.

why yes I do...but all bikes are cool....just cant see the need to do 150mph on public roads

Thanks Revvy, I appreciate the help. Both of these mags are more for the customer cruiser type of crowd, which isn't really up his alley. I did come across many magazines geared towards that demographic, but didn't pique my interest.

@crash1292

Like you said, all bikes are cool. All riders should have the mantra "Keep the rubber side down". We all prefer an open cockpit versus steering a cage. Regardless of preference of what you choose to ride, we both do... ride.

Cmon, you can't see the need for a fast performing bike? It's for the thrill man, cmon! ( do not condone over 100 mph speeds on a freeway, or 10 over on side streets) Sport bike riders are generally adrenaline junkies.

I just can't see the need for spending double the price on a slow, hulky, un effecient , overpriced obsolete piece of iron at 65 mph. All at the expense to obtain of a certain kind of image and sound. But that is my opinion. While sport bikes may not be your thing, American built hogs aren't our thing either. It doesn't make us better than one another, it just makes us different. And it certainly does not reflect an individuals intelligence level.

But hey, to each their own right? If I want to drive a Buick and you want to drive a Vette, it doesn't matter.

So back to the point at hand, I have googled for Sport Bike magazines but just can't seem to find one that is more of a How To. Anyone else have anything helpful to add?

well I will agree that Harley is in the stone age....but that is part of the charm of them.
I also ride a 66 BSA...lol.
Had jap bikes in high school,lots of fun but also lots of tickets

Crap, sorry I thought they were like those old school DIY mags I remember from the 70's.

Maybe they're aren't any anymore? I love finding old popular mechanics mags from like the 30's to late 70's where they actually showed you how to build stuff, like you're own powertools, most of it without safety guards of any type. Nowadays thinks like that are watered down, and everything's vetted by lawyers more than editors. I think true DIY magazines are a lost art. At least a lot of it is alive on the internet. At least a lot of the old stuff can be found in reprints by Lindsay.

Yeah, he wont have internet access in Prison. He can only receive books and magazines straight from the publisher or distributor brand new. I wouldn't even be able to buy old used ones and ship them to him. Even though he is in low security, the stipulations are really tight :-(

I mean, it is Prison after all.

Maybe get him some stuff about how to do bodywork, painting, or fabrication? Those are kind of general skills that there might be more books/mags about and would be GREAT to know. It's also something that the average gearhead bike dude ends up sending out, so could be something that he could use to make cash on the side when he springs free.

Here's to your pal doing his time safely, learning stuff, and emerging a better man. My heart goes out to you for having to deal with your friend's missteps...and for you supporting him during this.

Back