mosto d'uva grape concentrate of Consecration Type Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locus415

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of or used Mosto d'Uva in a sour beer before?

I have been doing a few sour mash beers using the spent grain from double 5 gallon batch brew days. I combine the spent grains into a cooler mash tun and pour 5 gallons of 158ish hot liqour onto it and then close the lid and let it ride. Sometimes for 24 hours, sometimes a couple 2 - 3 days.

This past weekend ended up collecting a little over 3 gallons of 1.030 wort from a 48 hour mash. It smelled sour alright. After adding a bit of sugar during the end of the boil it ended up at 1.040. I want a little more sugar for the bugs from a Consecration dreg starter cake to chew on so I searched my cabinet and found the Mosto d'Uva, a concentrated grape juice. It can be used in cooking or drunk like a non alcoholic port. I am thinking this may be a great way to get that Cabernet flavor without the barrel. Going to add it at secondary with a touch of oak chips.

Ay experience with Mosto d'Uva and a homebrew?

It's something many italian craft breweries do. They add mosto d'uva (which means grape juice in italian, by the way) both in fermentation or in bottle to referment, and let it ferment with yeasts present on the grape or even adding a yeast fit for brewing. Expect aging it a lot, it will get better and better time passing.
http://www.loverbeer.com/
It is written in italian, maybe try some translator, and look for beerbera (made with barbera grapes juice) and d'uvabeer

Back