Mostly Suspended

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiscBrewer

Reaction score
I use a pulley to raise my bag above the brew pot, and let the bag drain while bringing the wort to a boil. For most of the draining, I keep the bottom inch or so of the bag below the surface of the wort. After 10 minutes or so, I raise it just above the wort. I'm doing this to minimize splashing of 165 degree runnings. I know there's some disagreement about whether to worry about hot side aeration, but I'm curious. Does anyone else do this? Is 165 too cool to worry about HSA?

I have to lift the bag out completely because it's so wide that the bag touches the side of the kettle causing the draining wort to drip down the side of the kettle onto the floor.

I don't believe in HSA and there have been experiments that support this. But like many others things, it will continue to be a topic of debate.

Also with BIAB there does not appear to be a need for mashing out which is looks like you're doing.

I have to lift the bag out completely because it's so wide that the bag touches the side of the kettle causing the draining wort to drip down the side of the kettle onto the floor.

I don't believe in HSA and there have been experiments that support this. But like many others things, it will continue to be a topic of debate.

Also with BIAB there does not appear to be a need for mashing out which is looks like you're doing.

No need to mash out? That's my understanding as well. Still, my efficiency goes up a bit when I do.

No need to mash out? That's my understanding as well. Still, my efficiency goes up a bit when I do.

If your efficiency goes up when you do a mash out it is because the conversion of the starch to sugar isn't complete either because you are doing a short mash or because your grain is milled too coarse. The first is easy to work with, just mash longer. The second usually requires the purchase of a mill so you get to control the quality of the milling. I use a Corona mill and only mash for 20 minutes...because by then the conversion is complete. I can do this because I mill my grains to the consistency of corn meal.

If your efficiency goes up when you do a mash out it is because the conversion of the starch to sugar isn't complete either because you are doing a short mash or because your grain is milled too coarse. The first is easy to work with, just mash longer. The second usually requires the purchase of a mill so you get to control the quality of the milling. I use a Corona mill and only mash for 20 minutes...because by then the conversion is complete. I can do this because I mill my grains to the consistency of corn meal.

Interesting. I mash for 60 minutes. You're right, though, I use an old mill that can't be adjusted. Might be time for a new one.

Interesting. I mash for 60 minutes. You're right, though, I use an old mill that can't be adjusted. Might be time for a new one.

You might get better conversion if you mashed for 90 minutes but you might not too. A finer crush is nearly certain to get better conversion.

Back