Most versatile base malt for buying bulk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarberSurgeon

Reaction score
I'm about to get into AG, so I wanted to buy about 50 pounds of malt to start out with as a base for lots of recipes. I'll still use different specialty malts, of course. What is everyone's favorite for this purpose?

Also, for bonus points:
There aren't any LHBS stores within an hour of me, so I'll need to buy these grains pre-crushed. Of the major online vendors, who does the most reliable job?

I use either Breiss Two-Row or Gambrinus Pale Malt more than any other base grains. Many recipes will call for a two-row or pale malt as a base malt.

I also buy Munich, wheat, Pilsner, Caramel 20 and Caramel 60 in bulk.

Depends on what you plan in brewing. I would not suggest getting 50lbs of grain pre-crushed unless you plan to use it all very quickly.

your basic options are:
2-row - good for American styles
British pale malt like Maris otter or golden promise - for English styles
Pilsner - German and contental styles
There are others but those are the 3 I keep, American or Canadian 2-row is the cheapest and the one I use the most.

Edit: Wow you guys are way faster than me!

2 row or pale ale or 2 row pale all are pretty much the same and the most versitile. I would however think twice about buying it milled, oxidation is a malts worst friend and the more surface the more oxidation....unless you are planning to brew it all in a couple weeks at most I would get a mill before I started buying 50 lb bags.:eek:

+1 on the grain mill. With the grain mill and buying grain in bulk from group buys I think the mill pays for itself rather quickly.

As for base malts I keep 2-row, pilsen, wheat, and marris otter.

A 35 dollar corona style grain mill off ebay, a corded 1/2" drive drill from harbor freight and a bolt that fits the crank of the mill and you are rocking your grain and can dial in your crush better than any home brew store can..
Definitely worth the small investment for this hobby

Thanks for the replies to both queries! I had no idea about storing malt. Good to know! I'll check out those milling solutions. I'm not handy in the slightest and don't own a drill, so perhaps I'm better off buying small quantities of pre-crushed grain after all.

Back