Most overrated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cammanron

Reaction score
Just asking for opinions on people’s most overrated brand of beer.
It can be a craft beer, but I’d like to stick to ones that are pretty well known around the globe.

I’ll start.
For me, I don’t get why people drink Heineken. Every damn time I’ve decided to give it another chance, I regret it. ALWAYS gives me a throbbing headache. Corona is another beer that I would pass by if other Mexican beers are available.

I think one rule of thumb is that the more heavily advertised the product, the less likely it is to live up to the hype. AB/InBev probably spends the better part of a billion $/yr on advertising and promotion. Does that make Bud Light anything other than the bland, tasteless, rice lager that it is?

That said, taste is highly subjective. One person’s nectar of the gods is another person’s drain pour. :cool:

I think one rule of thumb is that the more heavily advertised the product, the less likely it is to live up to the hype. AB/InBev probably spends the better part of a billion $/yr on advertising and promotion. Does that make Bud Light anything other than the bland, tasteless, rice lager that it is?

That said, taste is highly subjective. One person’s nectar of the gods is another person’s drain pour. :cool:
Right. I was just curious about others’ opinion

Gotta agree with Corona. I've never understood it. A lot of people I know really like it, and I don't get it at all. It's a macro lager that's pretty much spoiled. If you like macro lagers then why not just Budweiser or PBR? Hell, why not Landshark if you want the clear bottle beach vibe. At least they don't taste skunked. They've really figured out how to market it as a summer/cookout/beach beer.

Bonus negative points for ruining Margaritas by putting a bottle upside down in them at Tex-Mex joints. Couldn't they just stick with butchering lagers?

Any beer that causes this. No beer is worth that to me. Even if it is amazing, its just a beer and not worth this.
Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 3.51.25 PM.png

Any beer that causes this. No beer is worth that to me. Even if it is amazing, its just a beer and not worth this. View attachment 740226

Damn straight. There is a brewery nearby me, Treehouse, that gets like this. I refuse to go. I'd rather go to a brewery or a taphouse where they know my name than deal with this nonsense.

Damn straight. There is a brewery nearby me, Treehouse, that gets like this. I refuse to go. I'd rather go to a brewery or a taphouse where they know my name than deal with this nonsense.
I mean, if it’s a craft brewery, great for them… Making a go of it, but there is NO WAY IN HELL I’m standing in a line of more than a couple of minutes.. McDonalds and fast food even get my back up for their lines.

I mean, if it’s a craft brewery, great for them… Making a go of it, but there is NO WAY IN HELL I’m standing in a line of more than a couple of minutes.. McDonalds and fast food even get my back up for their lines.

Yeah it is nice to see them doing well, but I've seen breweries try to create an artificial sense of exclusivity that irks me.

Indeed. That picture is of Treehouse :D
Laughingly, it's never like that anymore. I could pop over there right now and pack my truck with beer...

Is it as good as they say? Can I get anything other than IPAs? Don't care for the style.

Yes, "it" is usually as good as they say - "it" being their big name brews, which admittedly are all IPAs or DIPAs, and most of those hazies.
Right in my wheel house :D

But they usually have a limited selection of non-Pale Ales on hand as well, mostly stouts but a hefe, a helles, a barley wine, and a wit thrown in, with most of that last bunch in bottles...

https://orders.treehousebrew.com/oa/order/menu
Cheers!

Well spotted.. [...]

Well, admittedly I've had that exact view of the Charlton facility numerous times - on research visits, of course...

Cheers! (highly enjoyable research visits :D)

ps: I do not consider most of their beers overrated, fwiw. In fact I've been trying to clone a lot of them over the years, so...

Well, admittedly I've had that exact view of the Charlton facility numerous times - on research visits, of course...

Cheers! (highly enjoyable research visits :D)

ps: I do not consider most of their beers overrated, fwiw. In fact I've been trying to clone a lot of them over the years, so...

I'm sure they are absolutely amazing beers. I've only had canned versions down here in Georgia and they were quite good. I would never call them overrated if I could just walk in and drink one (as is presently the case). But a few years back when those lines existed, that's the definition of overrated to me, no matter how good the beer is, its not waiting 100 deep in line for

Blue Moon or Shocktop

Blue moon is another beer I don't understand. Literally tastes like a hint of vomit.

Cisco opened a restaurant near me and they have a decent wit, but they also carry blue moon. I don't understand why anyone would buy it given the choice...

Yes, "it" is usually as good as they say - "it" being their big name brews, which admittedly are all IPAs or DIPAs, and most of those hazies.
Right in my wheel house :D

But they usually have a limited selection of non-Pale Ales on hand as well, mostly stouts but a hefe, a helles, a barley wine, and a wit thrown in, with most of that last bunch in bottles...

https://orders.treehousebrew.com/oa/order/menu
Cheers!

I'm not a big fan of NEIPA or hazy, but they seem to have decent enough selection of malty stuff. Maybe I'll drive over soon. You had to buy a certain amount a year ago (a case?) and I'm trying to figure out if you still have to.

fwiw, the lines back in The Alchemist's heyday make the ones I ran into in Charlton look tame - and if you didn't get there in time they ran out, period, cya next week! Seems to be a thing with New England IPA breweries :)

Cheers!

fwiw, the lines back in The Alchemist's heyday make the ones I ran into in Charlton look tame - and if you didn't get there in time they ran out, period, cya next week! Seems to be a thing with New England IPA breweries :)

Cheers!

I've been to Alchemist. LOVE Heady Topper.

Some might flame me for this, but I've never understood the hype about Guinness. I've tried cans, bottles, and draft (granted, only on this side of the pond), so if anyone has had the "real thing" (read: in Ireland), please speak up. To me it's just a very bland take on a light porter, with almost no flavor to speak of, even on nitro. I'll take Irish Death over a Guinness any day. I was a bartender for many years, and back when the hipsters were all raving over PBR I wanted to slap those nasty cans right out of their manicured paws. Back in the 70's and 80's it was a decent beer, but now it's nasty to me.

Some might flame me for this, but I've never understood the hype about Guinness. I've tried cans, bottles, and draft (granted, only on this side of the pond), so if anyone has had the "real thing" (read: in Ireland), please speak up. To me it's just a very bland take on a light porter, with almost no flavor to speak of, even on nitro. I'll take Irish Death over a Guinness any day. I was a bartender for many years, and back when the hipsters were all raving over PBR I wanted to slap those nasty cans right out of their manicured paws. Back in the 70's and 80's it was a decent beer, but now it's nasty to me.

I drink Guinness mostly because when I'm out for dinner it's light. Because it isn't carbonated much, mostly nitro, I can drink four with dinner and still walk out of the place. Also, it's low abv so I don't have to stumble out either.

If one ever ends up on a Bahamas Out Island and is faced with the likes of Sands, Kalik, Carib, and maybe Bud Lite, the notion of downing a Guinness Export or a bunch might not seem like slumming :D

Cheers!

Well...some might really flame me for this, but I had heady topper "straight from the can" as it instructed me to and was not impressed. It was good, just didn't live up to the hype in my personal opinion. I've had other local IPAs
that I like better, which may just be a preference thing or a freshness thing.

Ok, I know were are taking shots at some easy targets but I am ready to take some real heat.

I have never had a Bell's Two Hearted experience that has convinced me it deserves its perennial position at the top of "Best Beer in America" lists.

Don't get me wrong. It is a fine product. It is in my core rotation, but four years at the top of the Zymurgy list? Literally overrated.

No mention of PBR yet? Old Style? I've never understood the hype of either of those

I will drink Bud Light (or Coors Light, or any of the other Lites), if the situation calls for it.
Like, on a boat, far out at sea, and the other choice is water...

Cheers!
There's almost always Coors Light in my fridge for the non craft drinkers. Or Bud Light Lime...surprisingly refreshing on a hot day and not as gross as Corona. And no need to chop/buy limes...please don't kick me off the forum lol

"San Diego"
Might have something to do with it?

Cheers!
Haha, possibly! My neighbor (who recently moved back) was from Maine and used to visit several times a year and would come back with an entire suitcase full of beer. AND share!
Miss them, and not just cause of the beer exchange program!:yes:

Back