Most overrated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
You could buy an amazing small batch Scottish or Irish Whiskey at that price. Not worth it.

As I mentioned above I had it twice at some beer fests I was working and wasn’t impressed at all.

Sam Adams should stick to lagers, that’s their bead and butter.
100% agree.

Last edited:

Brooothru

Reaction score
When were you in Stuttgart?

I was in the Navy and attached to USEuCom at Patch Barracks for 6 months in late 1975. (God that was a LONG time ago!)

Hated to leave Germany after only 6 months.
My first trip (Navy) to Stuttgart was in 1976, on a logistics run while stationed TDY at NS Rota, Spain. Stayed for about a week, with side trips to Munich and other parts of the lower Rhineland. We probably crossed paths.

Dog House Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
3 Floyds and I’m from IN. When they upgraded to their massive brewery years ago, they fell flat IMO. None of their beers were as good. Used to love Dreadnaught. That beer was never the same at all.

Heineken and Corona, I have no answer

American light beer, SMH, giveme a Heineken or Corona over that.

Any dopplebock I hate that malty sweetness. I get why people like it, just not for me.

downzero

Reaction score
3 Floyds and I’m from IN. When they upgraded to their massive brewery years ago, they fell flat IMO. None of their beers were as good. Used to love Dreadnaught. That beer was never the same at all.
Oh do I hope you're wrong. I haven't been home in years, but 3 Floyds is my all time favorite brewery.

prankster1590

Reaction score
Just asking for opinions on people’s most overrated brand of beer.
It can be a craft beer, but I’d like to stick to ones that are pretty well known around the globe.

I’ll start.
For me, I don’t get why people drink Heineken. Every damn time I’ve decided to give it another chance, I regret it. ALWAYS gives me a throbbing headache. Corona is another beer that I would pass by if other Mexican beers are available.
I love Heineken. Instead of drinking it out of a green bottle you can drink it from a can if you dont like its skunkiness. But to be honest. I like that piss taste from a bottle. Reminds me of good summertime vibes.

It al tastes the same after a six-pack anyway :p

Imhoppy

Reaction score
I read about a beer that very much interests me that I’ve never had the opportunity to try. Made by Foothills Brewing. They do a special release once a year in time for Valentine’s Day. The beer is called Sexual Chocolate. It is an imperial stout with chocolate added. It’s not been sold within 200 miles of me. But what I’ve read about it sounds really interesting. Anybody here tried that?
No, but I see the numbers. Wow! --- ABV 9.6%, SRM 53, and IBU 75. Per the Foothills Brewing website, it's available January and February. And it gives me an idea to concoct a different version using coffee beans for a Sexual Chocolate Oatmeal Stout using some of this...

20211005_203556.jpg

tyrub42

Reaction score
Dark Lord. 3 Floyds cashed in to the max during the heyday of craft beer becoming cool and let's go stand in the rain all day for this mediocre imperial stout and pay an outrageous price for the privilege.
I was shocked by how much I disliked the vintage I had. I was looking for this beer for years and finally got a chance to try it when an awesome dude brought one to Taiwan and offered to share it. He warned me but I was sure he was wrong. He wasn't. It was so cloyingly sugary and soy saucy and there was no balance at all. Just sweetness and soy sauce with the regular stout roast and some light smoke. We struggled to get through the bottle but I wouldn't let any go to waste.

Maybe it was just a bad year, though. Apparently the BBA versions can be incredible.

Anyway the other beer he brought was Fe 'Some brewery I've never never heard of' and ended up being my intro to my favorite sour brewery, DeGarde, and we ended up becoming good friends, so the night was still mostly a win 🍻🍻🍻

RufusBrewer

Reaction score
Anybody else always enjoy the first sip of a pumpkin beer, but then want to pour it down the drain by sip number three?
That is my reaction to Corona. First sip on s "Hmmmm. This stuff ain't all that bad. Why do I disparage it so much?" Then by the third sip, "Oh yeah, it has no staying power or flavor."

At least Corona is mostly beer sins of omission. If I am in a situation and cornered into accepting a Corrona, I can drink it.

Brewdog80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Mass market? Coors. second is Corona, and I hate with a lime.... Craft? Local company to NWA,Core brewing , they started with a single location, added about a half dozen in roughly 3 years, were canning a lot, most stores had 2 to 4 of their beers. Late 2019, just before covid, they closed all but their original location. They didn't even get their last location open. Beer was good if you liked double to triple the hops. In an IPA I expect heavy hops, but in a chocolate stout? or in a light lager? Everything was double to triple and way outside of even the most generous hops allowance. Many just undrinkable to even a hop head. And the average person? wouldn't finish the first. Head Brewer must have been a heavy smoker with no tastebuds left. They still are open, but I don't and won't buy their stuff when there are more varieties out there than I can taste.