American Pale Ale Mosiac (session IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSK_Chess

enthusiastic learner
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WL002 English Ale
Yeast Starter
800ml (stir plate)
Batch Size (Gallons)
23L (5 Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60min
IBU
Color
blonde
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 18 Celsius (64F)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days chilled @ -1 Celsius
Tasting Notes
Balanced and fruity
Having brewed not a few IPA's and Imperial IPA's I came to the realization that they were too bitter for my palate. I then resolved to brew something in the region of 30-35 IBU's but to attempt to retain all the aroma and flavour of those wonderful Mosiac hops.

My idea was also to have a full spectrum of the experience from slight sweetness of the malt to bitterness on the backend and thus I chose WL002 English Ale yeast for its alleged proclivity to leave a residual sweetness. I have no idea why Whitelabs states that this does not attenuate out as much as their WL007 for it has always done really well for me personally. This is also reflected in my software which states that the FG should be 1017 when infact it was 1012. It will slightly subdue the hops making it a perfect choice for a beer that is not overtly hoppy, but fully flavoursome and balanced.

Mosiac Session IPA - American Pale Ale
================================================================================
Batch Size: 23 L
Boil Size: 28 L
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 75%
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.012
ABV: 5%
Bitterness: 33.2 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 5 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Pale Malt (Simpsons Golden Promise) 5kg (11lbs)
Briess - Carapils Malt 200g (7oz)

Hops
Mosaic 11.7% 10.000 g 60 min 11.7 IBU
Mosaic 11.7% 25.000 g 12 min 12.2 IBU
Mosaic 11.7% 40.000 g 5 min 9.3 IBU
Mosaic 11.7% 25.000 g Dry Hop

Mash Schedule
Infusion @66 Celsius (150F) - 60 min
Mash Out @75 Celsius (167F) - 15min

Water Profile
Ca 60
Mg 3
Na 5
SO4 71
Cl 60
HCO3 37
SO4/Cl Ratio 1.2

Finings
PVPP and silica gel (polyclar730)
Gelatin

Love it.

Ever use red wheat? Half a kilo in that grist would add a bit of the malty sweetness and mouth feel that would go amazingly with Mosaic...

Hi redlantern, I have never used it, it sounds wonderful though! I am experimenting with Munich malt for some added maltiness :D

Back