Mosaic Double IPA from Zymurgy mag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GearDaddys

Reaction score
Hey all.. Question.. Anyone brewed this from this months Zymurgy Magazine? It looks interesting.. I've only been brewing for a few years (ok, like 10.. but all grain via BIAB for only a year)..

Few questions.. Recipe calls for hops at time:0 and time +10 .. I'm assuming that this is basically two doses of whirlpool hops? Havn't seen them staged like that before.. Also it doesn't call for a dry hop addition at all, interesting for an IPA.. I plugged all of this into BeerSmith, and I'm getting slightly different numbers for ABV/SRM/IBU.. Is this normal?

Thanks for any thoughts.. Here is the recipe if anyone wants to take a look:

Batch: 6.5G
OG: 1.074
FG: 1.011
EFF: 70%
ABV: 8.4
IBU: 72
SRM:5

12.0 LBS US Two Row
2.0 LBS German Vienna malt
1.0 LB Golden Promise Pale Malt (Simpsons)
1.0 LB German Munich Malt
10.0 OZ Table sugar (10 minutes)
1.0 Lb Tupelo honey (10 minutes)
1.0 oz Mosaic 12.7% pellets (FWH)
1.0 oz Mosaic 12.7 pellets (15 minutes)
1.0 oz Mosaic 12.7 pellets (10 minutes)
1.0 oz Mosaic 12.7 pellets (5 minutes)
1.0 oz Mosaic 12.7 pellets (O minutes)
1.0 oz Mosaic 12.7 pellets (+10 minutes)

Mash Rests: 144F 45 Minutes/ 158F 15 Minutes
Boil time: 90 Minutes
Final Volume: 6.5 G
Fermentation Temp: 68F

Cheers!

I brewed an all Mosaic IPA a couple of years ago and it was nothing special so I gave up on that idea. On the numbers matching thing are you using the same efficiency numbers they use in the recipe? I've noticed the couple of times that I've entered a recipe from somewhere even if the efficiency matches the numbers in BS are still slightly different. You can always adjust the grain bill if you feel you need to.

It does look like a flame out addition and then a whirlpool addition by the recipe. Numbers can also go awry because of how these additions are treated.

IBUs will always be varied based on the hops harvest year, origin, and degradation so I wouldnt worry about it. The vigorousness of your boil always plays a factor. It definitely looks like multiple whirlpool additions which is how I do my IPAs.

I was actually looking at this in the magazine over the weekend. It doesn't seem like enough hops to me. Maybe I'm just sick in the head, but if I were to brew this, I would probably double the hops at the end of the boil (5, 0 and +10) and finish it with a 2-3 oz dry hop about 5 days before packaging. 6 oz is about what I use for 3 gallon APA recipes.

I was actually looking at this in the magazine over the weekend. It doesn't seem like enough hops to me. Maybe I'm just sick in the head, but if I were to brew this, I would probably double the hops at the end of the boil (5, 0 and +10) and finish it with a 2-3 oz dry hop about 5 days before packaging. 6 oz is about what I use for 3 gallon APA recipes.

i thought the same...

+1 (EDIT: +2 now) to that. I'd be at about 2 to 2.5x that total amount of hops, too. With a decent amount of it being in dry hop.

(I also believe Mosaic needs a partner or two, like some Columbus and/or Simcoe, but that's a different discussion)

Back