Morning After - No Bubbling -or- Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BilboBrewin

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster... have eight batches under my belt, but still learning...

I know it can take a while for bubbling to occur, but is it the same for krausen? Most threads I have read suggest looking for krausen if there is no bubbling - I did and there is none, whatsoever - zip, zilch, nada.

Some details:
  • I pitched at 68 degrees
  • 1L yeast starter from a two-month old WYEAST American Ale II pack
  • Starter was decanted the morning of brew day

The only thing that seemed off is after I decanted the yeast starter. Even after reaching room temperature, swirling it provided no bubbling, whereas before putting it in the refrigerator it would bubble with even the gentlest of swirling. Is it possible that my refrigerator is cold enough to have killed the yeast? This does seem odd given that I keep my fridge at a higher temperature setting (not one for ice cold beer here), but is the only thing I can think of...

...or perhaps I have been spoiled by the rocket fast start to fermentation that my Tripels have enjoyed, and just need to be patient? If so, when should I begin to worry/think about re-pitching/etc?

No need to worry yet. I'm use to fast take offs but every once in awhile have a slow one. Couple months ago used wyeast 1010 it it took awhile to get going. Think it was almost 36 hours, however, when it did decide to finally start working it went crazy. The krausen was super thick. I would just give it some time. Sure it'll take off soon enough.

I hope you let the yeast starter come up to room temp before pitching it? The yeast could've been shocked by the temp differential.

My latest batch took from Sunday to today, Wednesday, to get started. That was my fault however, pitched at about 40 :p

The yeast could've been shocked by the temp differential.

My latest batch took from Sunday to today, Wednesday, to get started. That was my fault however, pitched at about 40 :p

I was going to suggest the same thing about wort and/or pitching temps. I brewed early Sunday morning, and pitched some Wyeast 1968 into 60 degree wort, then placed the carboy in my swamp cooler with a bottle or two of ice. I had zero signs of activity that morning (fermometer read 58) then remembered that that strain does not do to well below 62ish

I came home Monday afternoon to very little activity....added some hot water to the swamp cooler (to 66ish) then the little yeasties started moving. I have had great fermentation since.

Look up the temp range for that strain and see if you are on the border line of the cold range. Or make sure you didn't pitch when the wort was a little too warm, as this will strain the yeast out for a bit, and cause a longer lag time.

What was fascinating for me, is that it took 3 days to even get to a temp that registered on the fermometer sitting in a swamp cooler setup in 70 degree ambient.

Thank you for all the quick replies!

I hope you let the yeast starter come up to room temp before pitching it? The yeast could've been shocked by the temp differential.

I did let it come up to room temperature. I put the starter in the fridge Monday night, decanted it Tuesday morning, then left it on the counter (ambient is within a few degrees of my pitching temperature) until Tuesday night.

Latest posts

Back