Morgan Rice Malt Extract - pre-hopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arpieb

Reaction score
I inherited some cans of Morgan Rice Malt Extract from a buddy who got out of 'brewing. The label says it is pre-hopped to 15 IBUs, but does not specify what hops were used. I can't find this particular product on their website, so have no more details on the extract. It specified it could be brewed with two cans of this particular extract, or one can of this extract and one can from the Master Blend series. It also came with some ale and lager yeasts, but due to the age of the yeast and no facilities for lagering, I went with a high-gravity dry ale yeast from Winecraft here in Atlanta.

So far I can't detect a noticeable amount of hops in the aroma (in secondary fermentation) and I would like to dry-hop before bottling.

Any idea as to what hops Morgan used in these extracts, or what would be a "safe" hops to blend in via dry-hopping or using a hops tea to give it more bite?

This is a total experiment without a canned recipe, so I'm open to trying anything... If it works, great - if not, I wasted 5 gallons of water... ;)

Thanks!

-R

If there is no hop aroma now (which is no suprise since they only used it for bittering) there will be nothing to clash with. Pick your favorite aroma hop and go at it.

they likely use a very clean hop, like magnum...its just for bittering, not flavoring.

so like Tonedef says, use whatever you like.

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if the bittering component would clash, but it sounds like it's not going to be a problem. Maybe I can yet "recycle" that 5 gallons of water! ;)

-R

Ah, one more quick question as I'm way new to this and have never dry-hopped a batch before... How much hops should I use, and how long should I let the beer stand on it?

Also - what are the pros/cons of something like a hops tea vs. using pellets?

Thanks again!

Back