Morebeer plate filter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose5

Reaction score
Using this product for the first time. Hooked up between to kegs. Mildly bubbly liquid going in. Almost all foam with a little clear liquid in the bottom of the tube. Is this normal? Went around and made sure everything is tight. Not leaking any liquid or gas that I can hear.

Once I switched kegs to clean up the bubble problem corrected itself. I think the post on that particular keg was the problem. Don't know if I'm going to use this product again. Caused more problems than it solved on this particular batch.

I used that same plate filter (from my LHBS, not MB) for years with no functional difficulties ever. Just the inevitable stripping and massive oxidation inherent to homebrew level filtration of finished beer. Spunding and CBDS to the rescue.

Ah - I totally read that as "plate chiller". Excuse my dumbassery :p

Anyway...the issue is likely due to the intrinsic carbonation - it can be as high as 0.8 volume depending on how warm the beer got post-fermentation. Next time try flushing the filter assembly with sanitized water then push the beer behind it, it should cut down on the CO2 breakout.

CBDS = floating keg dip tube...

Cheers!

Can you elaborate on what CBDS is?
Clear Beer Draught System, the best designed floating dip tube out there. Spunding in the serving keg and using a floating dip tube allows filtration-clear beer (assuming you have taken measures against colloidal and excessive biological haze upstream in your process) without extra time, effort, and equipment.

Still had chill haze on the final product. Sometimes it clears after another month. Beginning to wonder if I didn't wait 60 bucks.

Back