morebeer.com question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpoc454

Reaction score
Anyone who has purchased from morebeer.com I was wondering a few questions.

Does there extract kits come with everything except bottle caps and yeast?

I looked and wasnt clear if they come with the bittering and aromatic hops seperate.

thanks for the help

xpoc454 said:
Anyone who has purchased from morebeer.com I was wondering a few questions.

Does there extract kits come with everything except bottle caps and yeast?

I looked and wasnt clear if they come with the bittering and aromatic hops seperate.

thanks for the help
I have purchased several kits from them and they do not include yeast. You get extract, hops,whirfloc tablet and sugar for bottling. Here is a link to the ingredients in their extract kits -> http://morebeer.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4481&highlight=extract+recipes I think they sould list better decriptions of the ingredients in their kits.

Yea but when you go to order the kits, you have the option of adding White labs or a dry yeast to your order

That pretty much sucks. I mean who ever heard of beer kits without yeast? Sounds like a s***ty marketing tool to make it seem like their kits are cheaper than someone else's but then they stick you for the yeast, too. I'm glad I switched to AG:mad:

ablrbrau said:
That pretty much sucks. I mean who ever heard of beer kits without yeast? Sounds like a s***ty marketing tool to make it seem like their kits are cheaper than someone else's but then they stick you for the yeast, too. I'm glad I switched to AG:mad:

FWIW, I don't think that's it at all. They make it quite clear in their catalog and on their web site that the kits do not include yeast. I just think they're ackowledging that someone serious about making a good batch of beer should have the option of getting the yeast *they* choose, not the one the kit happens to come with.

When I started brewing, I had a hefeweizen kit that came with Nottingham dried ale yeast. WTF kind of hefeweizen would that have made? Luckily, I didn't brew that batch right away, and int the meantime I had learned enough to know that I needed a different yeast with those ingredients in order to get the result I wanted.

cweston said:
FWIW, I don't think that's it at all. They make it quite clear in their catalog and on their web site that the kits do not include yeast. I just think they're ackowledging that someone serious about making a good batch of beer should have the option of getting the yeast *they* choose, not the one the kit happens to come with.

When I started brewing, I had a hefeweizen kit that came with Nottingham dried ale yeast. WTF kind of hefeweizen would that have made? Luckily, I didn't brew that batch right away, and int the meantime I had learned enough to know that I needed a different yeast with those ingredients in order to get the result I wanted.

Point taken. However, most (not all, but most) homebrewers that use kits do so because they do not yet have the confidence to formulate their own recipes and are depending on the kit supplier to provide them with the proper ingredients with which to make that good batch of beer- and that should naturally include the proper yeast.

I recently purchased the deluxe equipment kit as well as a nut brown ale kit and hefeweizen kit from Morebeer.com

when you click on the kit you want it gives you the option to add a complementing yeast either liquid or dry.

for the hefe there was no dry option.. only white labs liquid.

also..
my shipment has been in UPS hands since 4/5/06.

it should be here tomorrow or wednesday.. will the liquid hefe yeast be ok??

ws

I knew they didnt come with yeast. I wasnt sure how they did the hops. But your info has helped.
Im glad they dont offer yeast or caps. Caps are easy enough to buy in bulk and get real cheap. The yeast I dont need, I have a few dry packages at home I want to use up.

ablrbrau said:
Point taken. However, most (not all, but most) homebrewers that use kits do so because they do not yet have the confidence to formulate their own recipes and are depending on the kit supplier to provide them with the proper ingredients with which to make that good batch of beer- and that should naturally include the proper yeast.

I agree with the above post, the real reason they don't include a specific yeast with the kit is because they offer a few options, for example dry vs. liquid and then also a choice of which liquid yeast you prefer.

As was said, I don't think it has anything to do with trying to "trick" people in any way. I think it is a nice option to be able to have a choice in the matter.

ablrbrau said:
That pretty much sucks. I mean who ever heard of beer kits without yeast? Sounds like a s***ty marketing tool to make it seem like their kits are cheaper

it gives you the option to choose dry or liquid

Back