More Yeast Starter Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
From my LHBS's web site :

--Yeast starters are highly recommeded for all Wyeast "smack-packs!" Fermentation will begin and finish much more rapidly by dramatically increasing the pitching rate of your yeast.

--It is generally not necessary to make a yeast starter for the White Labs Pitchable Brewers Yeast.

So if the Wyeast packs contain 100 billion cells, and the White Labs vials contain 30-60 billion cells, why would a starter be recommended for Wyeast but not necessary for White Labs? :confused:

I think the White Lab little fellas are on steroids. But, don't quote me.:D

That's interesting though. I now make a starters no matter what yeast brand I'm using . I have always had faster starting fermentations when I do .

Have you talked to the folks at your HBS to see why they are publishing conflicting statements. I bet they haven't realized their contridictions.

Sudster said:
Have you talked to the folks at your HBS to see why they are publishing conflicting statements. I bet they haven't realized their contridictions.
No, it's always been a little difficult for me to walk into a place and say "Well look here guys, it seems as tho it's possible that you may be totally full of S*#t, at least in this particular respect". I mean, how do you put that in a nice way? :confused:

That seemed pretty reasonable to me. Keep in mind that you're in Texas, the land of straight talk. Just be sure to take your shooting iron in the HBS with you before the conversation starts.

I use White Labs exclusively. I'm waiting for my endorsement deal with them;). But after making my first starter about nine months ago, just to see if it really did make a difference, I now always make a starter!

As an aside: for all you Texas boys (and girls - i.e. - Aggies :) ) My Dad sent me an article he'd clipped from the Austin America Statesman about Ty Phelps, head brewer at NXNW. He began as a homebrewer.

Rhoobarb said:
As an aside: for all you Texas boys (and girls - i.e. - Aggies :) )
Ooh, a shot across the bow! :D TAMU (and OSU) are mobilizing as we speak. The march on Plainfield begins shortly, while (not coincidentally) the sheep in Stillwater will feel safer for a while. :eek:

I guess here's where I find out that there are 1300 (formerly) silent closet northern ags on this board. :D

I knew that would get a rise! :D

Okay, once the troops get here (assuming any Aggie can read a Rand-McNally map - much less find a Rand-McNally map in the local Barnes & Noble. Okay, now I'm assuming an Aggie can find their local Barnes & Noble. - OMG, this could go on forever!) I'll ply them with Home Run Inn pizza, Portillo's hot dogs, Two Brothers and Goose Island brews and all will be forgotten! :D

First off, don't be wastin the good stuff...a road kill armadillo and a sixer of Lone Star will be more than enough to keep the hoards satisfied. ;)

Secondly, thanks so much for making my day...hell, you've made my whole week. Other than six-in-a-row, there's nothin makes a Sooner happier than watchin ags and t-sips woopin up on each other. :D

El Pistolero said:
... thanks so much for making my day...hell, you've made my whole week. Other than six-in-a-row, there's nothin makes a Sooner happier than watchin ags and t-sips woopin up on each other. :D

Hey, Sooners don't get of that easy, either. I lived in Tulsa for twelve years, so I know what a bass-ackwards state Oklahoma is! No pro team of any kind. And the best place to meet a future spouse is a family reunion! :D

Rhoobarb said:
...so I know what a bass-ackwards state Oklahoma is! No pro team of any kind.
What about the Sooners? :confused:

Rhoobarb said:
And the best place to meet a future spouse is a family reunion! :D
Hey don't knock it until you've tried it...some of my cousins are pretty damn hot! :eek:

Boy oh boy oh boy...I am really looking forward to football season now. TxBrew, you might just as well go ahead and ban me now, cuz I'm liable to not be able to stop myself from gettin out of line. :D

Back