More nutrient/energizer after ferment has started?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uuurang

Reaction score
I've got a 3 gal. basic mead using Safale us05 fermenting for a week now. 6 total tsp. of nutrient and energizer, was used initially, per what I've read to ensure good yeast health. It's doing very well.

Is it recommended or necessary to continue feeding nutrient and/or energizer after ferment has started?...or does it just depend?:confused: If so how much over what time period? Is this overkill???

Cool, man. Thanks.

I'm no pro on the subject, but if you've already used the recommended amount per gallon I wouldn't put any more in there. You run the risk of getting some nasty flavors, from what I've read.

I only used half the recommended yeast nutrient (LD Carlson), as I got somewhat worried about introducing anything off-flavor. My mead is simple clover honey, water and yeast, so I was worried about any kind of strong tastes, since I don't have any spices or whatnot in there.

YMMV,
Matt

How much honey did you add for this basic mead? If it is around 3#/gallon, you should be fine. Any more, I would think about adding more, seeing as honey has about no nutrients to speak of. I wouldn't add another 6 tsp though; maybe about 1 tsp or so.

total honey used was 8 lbs. to 2 gal. of water. So it is 4 lbs. to a gal on the honey. And of course I used a beer yeast with what I've read is a possible attenuation of maybe 12% under perfect conditions.

Wonder if that will be enough alcohol to cut through the sweetness?! Guess I'll find out

that's going to be way too sweet. I use S-33 which'll pull close to 13%, and a 3lbs/gallon ratio almost produces a dessert mead. at 4lbs/gal it'll be cloyingly sweet, and thick.

malkore said:
that's going to be way too sweet. I use S-33 which'll pull close to 13%, and a 3lbs/gallon ratio almost produces a dessert mead. at 4lbs/gal it'll be cloyingly sweet, and thick.

Seemed like a good idea at the time! Don't ask me why now, though.

Air lock activity has mostly stopped. It's been 11 days. That can not be good. No gravity reading yet, maybe this weekend I can.

I'll try it this weekend to see if I can live with its flavor characteristics.

If I can't live with it, what to do to get it consumable?...add a better attenuating yeast, maybe a champagne, like ec-118?

This is my 1st mead, BTW, if it isn't already self evident.

Since you are now entering damage control mode, here are a couple suggestions.
#1. Mix this super sweet mead with another mead you make that is dry.
#2. Dump some re-hydrated bakers yeast and re-aerate the mead.
#3. Add H2O to cut honey-to-water ratio and another packet of Safale yeast and start all over again...depending on what you gravity reading is now.

I think the best would be #1....but all would work to some degree.
Then let it age forever...should be ok

Well, I'm happy to report that I'm pleasantly surprised with this mead. Albeit this is the first mead I've ever tried.

The numbers:

S.G- 1.109, 8# of clover honey in 2 gals. of water to make 3 gals. yeast nutrient & energizer, also aerated well, twice before fermentation started.

F.G.?- 1.014 after 22 days.
ABV- 13.3%

11.5g of Safale us05. Yes a beer yeast and it did better than expected.

So, would this be considered a sweet mead or somewhere in between?

It tastes sweet and the alcohol is not prominent. I get more of a pineapple like aroma and taste on the tongue and nose with hints of pure honey throughout.

I'm gonna leave it as is and bottle. Does it matter how long to wait in primary b4 bottling or racking to secondary? Or do beer rules apply with a mead in this case, "Depends, do what works for ya!"

That would definitely be in the semi-sweet to full sweet mead range. With that ABV the sweetness should help with the young flavors in the mead. With bottling, keep measuring with the hydrometer and when its readings are constant for a week or so, than go ahead and rack to a bottling bucket. You could also rack to secondary if it isn't clear yet, probably best route to take, mead can always use a bit more time.

Back