Quantcast

More "new" Mangrove Jack's yeasts - M12 Voss kveik and M66 Hophead

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ebbelwoi

Reaction score
Just stumbled across these today on the MJ site:

Could they be repackaged Lallemand Voss and Verdant?

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score
Given that we know Lallemand are a significant supplier to MJ, I think it's fairly safe to assume that the MJ Voss is probably repacked Lallemand Voss.

M66 Hophead is interesting, as they are adding an "enzyme" (I'm sure I saw somewhere a glucosidase) to the mix as a way to give themselves a bit of differentiation - not a bad move if the economics work for them.

Timing is interesting - it could be New England and it's just taken them time to work out the enzyme addition, or it could be Verdant.

Northern_Brewer

Reaction score
Well the enzyme is only in the M66, and with repitching you lose the benefit of the enzyme but you'd still have the yeast, which would still be the same as whatever Lallemand (or AN Other) is selling.

Glucosidases do help, but it's not a OMG-my-beer-is-ruined if they're not around.

OP
ebbelwoi

ebbelwoi

Reaction score
...it could be New England and it's just taken them time to work out the enzyme addition, or it could be Verdant.
New England does seem a bit more likely, especially with this line in the description:
perfect for New England, hazy and fruit forward IPAs

Northern_Brewer

Reaction score
Well given the recent trend towards using 1318 over Conan for hazies, then you could argue that's a better fit for Verdant (derived from 1318) rather than New England (derived from Conan).