More Hop Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdenmark

Reaction score
I made an IPA a couple months ago that came out pretty good. But I really like a good hop flavor to these beers and thought it could be a little stronger and have more of a hop flavor.

So how would I go about adding more hop flavor to a beer. Does it depend on the type of hops that I use? The amount? When I put them in the boil? or the dry hop? I used Cascade hops for both the bittering and flavoring of this beer.

I also am wondering how you would increase the original gravity of a beer? I am just curious and do not know very much about this topic?

Thanks for all of the help!
:mug:

Posting the recipe you used would be helpful, but generally speaking more hops late in the boil plus more dry hop equals a hoppier beer. Some types of hops may have stronger flavors than others, but for the most part hop type is selected because different hops have different flavors. Cascade is a good one for an IPA btw.

Your original gravity is determined by the amount of sugars in the beer, which is in turn determined by the amount of malted grains or malt extract, as well as any adjuncts you may use.

However, judging by how basic these questions are, I would strongly recommend that you read up on brewing before you try too much more. howtobrew.com is a great resource for getting started, this site is helpful once you get the basics down, and Designing Great Beers is a good book to pick up to learn about recipe formulation once you understand the brewing process.

Back