More Head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnutt73

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just finished up my Irish Red that I dry hopped and it turned out Great!!
The taste is spot on great color the works. I am now at the spot where I am trying to fine tune things for next time and am wondering what I need to do to get a thinker more prononced head on this beer or any beer for that matter. I like that big thick one that sticks to your stash like a guiness or a sammy adams. Any thoughts?

I use 1/2lb of carapils in my partial mash beers,5G batches. 5lbs of grains to 3-3.3lbs of extract. In my AE brews,the combination of DME in the boil & LME at flame out always worked well in regard to good head.

Im my PM beers,I use 3lbs DME or 3.3lbs LME at flame out. The 5lbs of grains make up 50% of the fermentables,so I use that in the boil. So carapils is in addition to. In my AE beers,the fact that I use both DME & LME ensures that some carapils or other head making grain has been used in it's production. So my AE beers use both DME & LME. You can also steep 1/2lb of carapils for extract beers. Just steep it in a grain bag in 1-2 gallons of water at 160F for 30 minutes,remove/drain sack,& proceed with boil. Or if you have kettle room,sparge the grains with 1 more gallon of water at 165-168F. This will rinse more goodness out of the grains for the brew kettle,rather than just adding plain water.

Sweet I hope to start another 2 batches next weekend I will be adding this to the receipe. Now I guess I have kinda of a noob question. First what does AE mean all these abbrevations to keep up with. And does the Carapils add any flavor and if so what kind? Is it bitter sweet? Dont want to add it and change the whole flavor of the beer.

Well,since PM means Partial Mash,AG= All Grain,I came up with the designation AE for All Extract a month or two ago to come up with a suitable designation for it as well. It was just a thought that came to mind,like when I started calling Primary Fermentation initial fermentation,since many don't secondary anymore,& a more accurate term was needed to describe the same thing in an updated context.
Carapils doesn't add color or flavor,just mouth feel & head.

Well,since PM means Partial Mash,AG= All Grain,I came up with the designation AE for All Extract a month or two ago to come up with a suitable designation for it as well. It was just a thought that came to mind,like when I started calling Primary Fermentation initial fermentation,since many don't secondary anymore,& a more accurate term was needed to describe the same thing in an updated context.
Carapils doesn't add color or flavor,just mouth feel & head.

What about EWSG? Extract with specialty grains?

A bit wordy,but accurate. If people can get used to it,why not? Or maybe this way- E/SG where the "/" usually means "with"? Other than that,"E/SG" also makes me think of drag racing,where it'd mean E Super Gas. yahoo!:ban: Seriuosly though,I do think E/SG would be easier. The "S" could mean either specialty or steeping...

Are you following me Unionrdr? it seems like every post I make you Re-post. Lol Im not mad Just wondering could be that we are both in the same time zone also.

Are you following me Unionrdr? it seems like every post I make you Re-post. Lol Im not mad Just wondering could be that we are both in the same time zone also.

Yes,I'm on the North Coast of Ohio,so we're in the same time zone. Just adding my technical expertise to make things more clearly understood. I never try to step on someones toes on purpose. Other times,I'm agreeing & adding to what's been said during the course of conversation. Otherwise,there is some coincidense involved...:mug:

So I cracked one open last night and this is what I got!! I was so happy. I don't know if I did not keep it in the fridge long enough or to long but This is the type of head I have been looking for. :mug:

image.jpg

photo.jpg

photo (2).jpg

Back