More first batch worries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCBrewski

Reaction score
I'm worried that I killed my yeast, it's been since Sunday now Thursday and I've seen mo activity in my airlock. I've monitored temps very well, didn't pitch until 70 deg. It's been at 70-72 the last four days. I used California ale yeast instead of Nottinghams included with the kit. Could it still be fermenting in there? Is my batch trash if the yeast is infact dead?

If you pitched at 70* then you didnt kill your yeast. Have you taken a gravity reading?
Sometimes fermentors dont seal properly and then the airlock does not show activity due to a poor seal.
If your gravity has not moved from origonal then pitch the notty in there. That yeast has never failed me

check gravity, I bet the yeast are working away, you can also probably tell if they've been at work if there is krausen or a tan layer of slime on top of the wort/beer or around the edges of the bucket

my 1st batch didn't bubble once because the lid didn't seal properly

was it a smack pack from wyeast? did you see it swell after you popped it? unless you used an extremely old packet of yeast you should be just fine

worst case you can pitch more yeast but i bet it's been working away without you noticing

I had some touch-n-go (or so I thought) on my 1st batch. It didn't make much krausen at all. But hydrometer test showed otherwise.
Check & see then what's going on.

Back