More efficient use of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
It seems to me that adding, say, cascade hops for aroma for the last 2 minutes of the boil is a waste. I propose that to boil the wort with bittering hops only for 60 minutes. Separately I will boil cascade for 2 minutes and strain. I will then add more water to the strained hops and boil for 20 minutes, straining again. This will save 2 oz of hops per 6 gal brew for me. It seems to simple, so I invite observations from you guys who are more knowledgeable than me.

BOBTHEukBREWER said:
It seems to me that adding, say, cascade hops for aroma for the last 2 minutes of the boil is a waste. I propose that to boil the wort with bittering hops only for 60 minutes. Separately I will boil cascade for 2 minutes and strain. I will then add more water to the strained hops and boil for 20 minutes, straining again. This will save 2 oz of hops per 6 gal brew for me. It seems to simple, so I invite observations from you guys who are more knowledgeable than me.

Makes since. The alpha acids from the late addition hops wouldn't be completely isomerized because they wouldn't have been boiled for long enough. $4 per batch worth of hops (average price) could save a good bit of money in the long run.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I think when there was a hops shortage people were saving dry hops and using them for bittering in their next batch.

Only thing I would change would be boiling the hops in some wort that you take out of the main boil. That way your pH and stuff will be correct, or at least consistent.

That way your pH and stuff will be correct,

Not sure why you need to add wort but treating my initial very hard water with CRS would make sense.

I have successfully added hops (in a bag) for the last 5 min of a boil, then pulled them out and drained them. The next day, I used those "used" hops to bitter another batch. Turned out great!

thanks pjj2ba, you should have flavoured the second batch with them and bittered a third batch...

The Problem is you get a lot of flavor and aroma from adding late hop additions. Depending on the type of beer you are making this may or may not be a good thing.

I think your plan should work just fine. I've read and listened to tons of different hop strategies and there seems to be know "right" way. If you do try it, please let us know how it works out. I love to hear different strategies win lose or draw.

Back