More Carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior

Reaction score
My last batch sat for ten days after bottling, then was put in the refrigerator for one week, carbonation is good but I would prefer more.Would it ok to take the beer out of the refrigerator to carbonate more at room temperature for a week or so? The concern I have,is the difference of the temperature change.

Yes you can take them out and let them finish carbonating.

Next time don't touch them for 3 weeks.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

If you just arbitrarily put them in the cold at three weeks, without making sure they were carbed to begin with, then you've prevented them from carbing further.

Yeast go to sleep in the cold, they don't carb your beer. SO of coulrse you beer is stuck uncarbed right where you put them into the fridge.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Don't put them into the cold until you know for sure they are carbed. You can't carb in the fridge. The yeast will go dormant in the fridge and not produce and co2- you'll have flat beer no matter how long you leave them in there.

Revvy said:
Yes you can take them out and let them finish carbonating.

Next time don't touch them for 3 weeks.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Im going to brew grand cru belgian from mwb before i deploy. Im leaving for 6 months do you think i should keep them in a closet for the full 6 or have my wife throw them in the brew frige half way through?

Back