More Carbonation !?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irena

Reaction score
Hi,i made a batch of chocolate stout 4 days ago.at first day the airlock bubbled vigorously, i can say there was no interruption between bubbles which came out of the airlock.now at the day 4 it's slowed down to 1 bubble every minute;so i pulled out the airlock and putted a cork instead for more carbonation.(actually my previous batch suffers from lack of co2,i can say there was no co2 in that.)
Does this help? Any tips for more co2 dissolved in beer without co2 tank and keg ?
Thanks.

Most usually carbonate their beer after fermentation has fully completed. Do a search here on bottle conditioning to learn about co2 levels and how much sugar to add to your beer to properly carbonate it.

How did you carbonate your last batch?

Irena - As everyone above stated you will get no (zero) carbonation on a beer in the fermenter. It will be totally flat when it ferments out, then you add a dose of sugar to it, and bottle it. It starts fermenting again in the bottle with the new sugar and puts CO2 back into the beer.

Yea if you aren't getting good carbonation, you need to either increase your priming sugar amounts or just let them sit longer in bottles (most likely the later). Doing what you are doing is a good way to paint your walls with beer.

If you're using a glass carboy, take out that cork! It might crack under the pressure (if the cork doesn't pop out first). You don't want an exploding glass jug in your house..!

Back