Moo Brew? Cows To Power Craft Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brakeman_Brewing

Reaction score
http://www.wptz.com/money/15956466/detail.html

BRIDGEWATER, Vt. -- Long Trail Brewing Co. plans to sign a contract to become the largest commercial customer of Central Vermont Public Service's "Cow Power" program.

The announcement on Tuesday is timed for Earth Day.

CVPS works with farmers to install special equipment that uses methane gas that's given off by manure to generate electricity.

Customers can pay a 4-cent-per-kilowatt-hour premium for the so-called Cow Power, which helps farmers pay for the equipment.

The craft beer brewing company said enrolling in Cow Power is part of its Eco Brew program that includes the use of heat recovery, bio-diesel, recycling, water conservation and giving eight tons of mash -- the spent grain that is a byproduct of the brewing process -- to local farms daily to feed their cows.

Since it seems were on the subject today....

Hey, that's my local news station! I saw that story on the news yesterday and strained to hear it through my 2 year olds tantrum & my Wife trying to describe somthing that happened at work. I caught bits & pieces of the story...then a commercial came on and everyone shut up.

*sigh*

Cow Power is nothing new here in Vermont. CVPS has been offering this product for several years. It is nice to see that a local bewery like Long Trail has climbed aboard with it.
Maybe Harpoon & Magic Hat will soon follow suit.

Back