Montrachet Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSeibel

Reaction score
Hello...I plan on making a batch of Edworts Apfelwien. It calls for Montrachet yeast. Any of the home brewers around here (Ontario) dont have any. Is there anything I can use as an alternative? Will any dry wine yeast work?

Dave

depends on what taste you want.

I use safale us-04 yeast and it makes it a bit sweeter.

There is a thread that I can't find right now, it explains the different tastes that specific yeasts give to cider.

Just about any wine yeast will give you results like montrachet- that's a pretty high attenuating wine yeast and will take the cider dry. You could replace it with several different strains, without any problem at all.

When I went to get my montrachet yeast they didn't have any so I asked them what to use and they sold me lalvin rc-212. It is my first time making cider and I have not tasted it yet.

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. It turns out I found this VERY informative article (see link). Based on this I am going to use the Lalvin L-1118 yeast for the Apfelwein. I'll let you know in a few months how it turned out.

Yeast and Cider in Ontario

Thanks

Dave

I'm going to try the same yeast for a small batch of Apfelwein I'm making for my uncle, he likes it dry but I couldn't find Montrachet anywhere. Thanks for the link!

Back