Montrachet Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DSeibel

Reaction score
Hello...I plan on making a batch of Edworts Apfelwien. It calls for Montrachet yeast. Any of the home brewers around here (Ontario) dont have any. Is there anything I can use as an alternative? Will any dry wine yeast work?

Dave

billy_awesome

Reaction score
depends on what taste you want.

I use safale us-04 yeast and it makes it a bit sweeter.

There is a thread that I can't find right now, it explains the different tastes that specific yeasts give to cider.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Just about any wine yeast will give you results like montrachet- that's a pretty high attenuating wine yeast and will take the cider dry. You could replace it with several different strains, without any problem at all.

craigbrew

Reaction score
When I went to get my montrachet yeast they didn't have any so I asked them what to use and they sold me lalvin rc-212. It is my first time making cider and I have not tasted it yet.

OP
D

DSeibel

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the feedback. It turns out I found this VERY informative article (see link). Based on this I am going to use the Lalvin L-1118 yeast for the Apfelwein. I'll let you know in a few months how it turned out.

Yeast and Cider in Ontario

Thanks

Dave

SeamusMac

Reaction score
I'm going to try the same yeast for a small batch of Apfelwein I'm making for my uncle, he likes it dry but I couldn't find Montrachet anywhere. Thanks for the link!