Montrachet yeast, did I kill it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babalu87

Reaction score
Rather than sprinkle it in I re-hydrated per the directions on the packet of yeast.

Pretty sure it got to over 115 degrees, they say 100-105 for re-hydration.

Did I kill it?
How long before visible fermentation begins with this yeast (Ed's Apfelwine)

115* probably wouldn't kill it, at least not all of it. How much over 115* do you think it got?

I've only used champagne yeast once and I don't remember how long it took to start, so I can't advise specifically on lag time... how long has it been?

It depends on how hot you got it, it will probably still work. I just sprinkle it on top, that's what I do with all my dry yeasts and they end up working just fine. To rehydrate something properly it takes too much time and effort and increases my risk of infection.

1. Suspend yeast rehydration nutrient in 20 times its weight of clean, chlorine free 43°C(110°F) water. If the water
temperature is not high enough, the yeast rehydration nutrient may not go entirely
into solution. We recommend Lalvin GoFerm and Laffort Dynastart as appropriate
yeast rehydration nutrients.
IMPORTANT:
If not using a yeast rehydration nutrient, water temperature should begin at
40°C(104°F) to avoid harming the yeast.

2. Once the temperature of the yeast rehydration nutrient solution has dropped to
40°C(104°F), add active dried yeast. Stir gently to break
up any clumps. Let suspension stand for 15-30 minutes, then stir gently again.
Allowing rehydrated yeast to stand for more than 30 minutes may start a decline in
the live population.
Note: Foaming is not an indicator of yeast viability.

3. Slowly (over a period of 5 minutes) combine an equal amount of the must/juice
to be fermented with the yeast suspension. This will help the yeast adjust to the
cool temperature of the must/juice and will help avoid cold shock caused by a
rapid temperature drop exceeding 10°C(18°F). This atemperation step may need
repeating in very low temperature must. For every 10°C(18°F) temperature
difference between the must/juice and the yeast slurry, an atemperation step must be performed. For example, for a
must/juice temperature of 20°C(68°F) and yeast slurry temperature of 40°C(104°F), two atemperation steps are
required.

4. Add the yeast slurry to the bottom of the fermentation vessel just as you begin filling the vessel with must/juice.
This is especially important for large tanks with long filling times or when inoculating with strains that are sensitive to
the competitive factor. This will allow the yeast a head start over indigenous organisms.

paraphrased from
http://www.scottlaboratories.com/info-center/documents/vC-YeastRehydrationProtocol_000.pdf

No problem with having more yeast you can use on the next batch. But sometimes yeast can take up to 72 hours to get going. Now a properly treated brew and yeast can start within a few hours, but I know I've been guilty of starting more then a couple without treating them right :)

My first few brews I rehydrated and the whole 9 yards - but now I'm lazy and just do a dry pitch - usually it'll take a few more hours is all. like as not, when you get home you'll find your yeast is doing it's thing.

115 degrees may have killed off some of the weaker sisters in there is all.

Good to go

128808571841307584.jpg

Babalu, just sprinkle the Montrachet on top of the fermentor and back away. The yeast will take it from there.

PTN

Thanks Paul

I started re-hydrating dry yeast because I had a US-05 that never took off in an 80/- a while back.

Had it down to a science too, cold tap water and 20 seconds in the Nuke hit just over 100.
Problem, this time I used apple juice to rehydrate and it getshotter quicker that water.

Next time stop drop and roll :D
Either way its bubbling away next to me :rockin:

Thanks Paul

I started re-hydrating dry yeast because I had a US-05 that never took off in an 80/- a while back.

Had it down to a science too, cold tap water and 20 seconds in the Nuke hit just over 100.
Problem, this time I used apple juice to rehydrate and it getshotter quicker that water.

Next time stop drop and roll :D
Either way its bubbling away next to me :rockin:

lol... toldja it ws OK :)

Back