Month Long First-ary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongrell

Reaction score
I made a Honey Lager with California Lager yeast. It sat in the first fermenting carboy for close to a month, should I expect any funny flavors?

I usually transfer to a secondary within a couple days of fermenting but I got lazy this time.

A month in primary is fine. Don't worry about it, you can transfer now or bottle.

c.n.budz said:
Did you lager it during that time?

If you actually lagered it, then it shold be done and can be racked. If you used a lager yeast at ale temps, you could potentially end up with some flavors that you were not anticipating or worse, your fermentation may not complete.

mongrell said:
I usually transfer to a secondary within a couple days of fermenting but I got lazy this time.

Not sure what to make of this comment...do you mean you normally transfer to secondary after primary has fully completed, within a couple days?

or are you actually doing a 2-3 day primary and then racking? cuz that's bad, m'kay?

I meant I rerack when fermentation is > 90% based on estimated final gravity

mongrell said:
I meant I rerack when fermentation is > 90% based on estimated final gravity

Why not just wait until fermentation is 98-100% done? Secondarying is for bulk conditioning, not further fermentation...

Soulive said:
Why not just wait until fermentation is 98-100% done? Secondarying is for bulk conditioning, not further fermentation...

I thought that's what thirdary was for? :D

mongrell said:
I made a Honey Lager with California Lager yeast. It sat in the first fermenting carboy for close to a month, should I expect any funny flavors?

No problems. My big beers will usually have 1 month primaries before being transfered to a secondary. Most of my smaller beers just have a 3-4 week primary before bottling.

I think general consensus is that 1 month in the primary is no problem. More than that is probably OK too but don't push it too much. From there you can bottle it of use a secondary for additional conditioning and clearing.

Craig

Back