Monster Autosiphon... need to shorten it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I just used my new auto siphon for the first time today. My fermenters are 2.5 gallon, and the siphon is designed for carboys and buckets. I need to shorten it, but everything is glued in place............ Compared to using a spigot, it was a pain in the butt because of it's size. I forget the brand, but it really doesn't matter. This has a cute little red plastic cap on the end so it sucks down into the siphon, which works very well as it ends up sucking from just above the trub if you bottom it........ Just about perfect. I siphon into a 2 gallon glass jug and cold crash....... adding my bottling sugar to the 2 gallon jug. I sometimes have a bit over two gallons, and add the remainder to another container, both the jug and the other container have spigots. I bottle about 3 days later..... depending on bottle availability... using the spigot and a clear hose. It works very well for me.

I'm about to saw off the top of the outer tube, and the inner tube, which means that I will lose that nice curved end, and have to make the curve .... and I will also lose that nice black plastic top piece at the upper end of the outer tube but it can't be helped.

H.W.

O K then.

Edit: How creative are ya'?

You could make the cuts in the middle, de-burr said cuts, and bond back together.

On the outer tube, I would seek a piece of clear heat shrink tubing, to secure it after bonding.

Use a heat gun, "sparingly", to contract the heat shrink, and not dick up the outer tube.

I just went ahead and did it............. I was able to sand a taper into the top of the outer tube that allows it to go together easily........ about the only thing the plastic top piece does, and I decided I could live without the curved top. I now have a 15" autosiphon that is manageable. That curved top is really the only part I miss, and I may find a plastic fitting I can glue on so the hose doesn't have to make a large curve.

I don't see myself ever brewing in a carboy, and if I ever scale upward, it will be with brew buckets or a conical. I love the clear plastic fermenters I have with the spigots and large openings. Someone needs to manufacture a clear acrylic conical 6 gallon fermenter. My favorite 3 gallon ice tea dispenser cracked last week and I was forced to ferment in a stainless steel stock pot. It drove me crazy not being able to see the ferment.

H.W.

Back