money saving tips.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeer

Reaction score
I am always seeing sales on the 5 gal water jugs that go on those water dispensers that people have in their homes and offices, and waiting rooms. Would it be possible to use this jug as a carboy? The are usually somewhere around 5-10 dollars. And I believe my stopper and air lock would fit in perfectly.
Any other items that can be used for brewing, that are cheap and technically not created for brewing?
Or any money saving tips at all are helpful...

As long as they are the current types being used (HDPE I believe) then you'll be fine. Just be sure to not put more than 4-4.5 gallons into the 5 gallon jug/carboy though. If you do, have a solid blowoff setup installed from the start. If you go with 4.5 gallons into it, also use Fermcap to keep foaming to a minimum. I filled a 5 gallon carboy to about 5 gallons for one batch. Good thing I had installed (and secured) the blowoff assembly after pitching the yeast. Otherwise, I probably would have been mopping the ceiling and walls from that batch.

Personally I would avoid the ones with the handles that the liquid flows through, seems like a sanitizing nightmare.

Personally I would avoid the ones with the handles that the liquid flows through, seems like a sanitizing nightmare.

this kind is super easy to tote around. i use one. Had a pyment in it for 9 months with no ill effects.

Do your research and buy good quality equipment from the start. Nothing more frustrating or expensive as having to upgrade yet again because you bought **** the first time.

Do your research and buy good quality equipment from the start. Nothing more frustrating or expensive as having to upgrade yet again because you bought **** the first time.

+1... I've gone from a 3 gallon (way to small) to a 5 gallon and now to a 8 gallon kettle. I could have bought a big pretty SS pot from the beginning.

If you know this is what you want to do then yes buy it big the first time. There are hundreds of systems just sitting and not being used though. I wasnt sure I would really like brewing and how the beer would turn out so I went cheap....VERY cheap. My whole system brew pot, mash tun, manifold, buckets, carboy etc. etc. etc. were all bought on the cheap. Now after a year of brewing at least twice a month its time to step up. I will be building a unit with 55 gallon drums. Sure you can spend thousands...I didnt and make just as crappy a beer as the guy with those expensive units. All total I have about $300 invested in my current set up. I converted a 48qt. cooler I had to a tun built the copper manifold with scrap copper pipe. Make an immersion chiller out of a 50ft. piece of 3/8 tubing. The boil kettle is a crab steamer from wally world....works great that was a whopping $28. The mill is a corona from amazon....you dont need those expensive units to make good beer. It might make your brew day easier or a little faster but your beer will not be better. I get %75-80 effeciency every batch unless it is over 15lbs. of grain. Everyone has there own thoughts and ideas on what is best but in the end it is up to you .....:mug:

wheels4 said:
If you know this is what you want to do then yes buy it big the first time. There are hundreds of systems just sitting and not being used though. I wasnt sure I would really like brewing and how the beer would turn out so I went cheap....VERY cheap. My whole system brew pot, mash tun, manifold, buckets, carboy etc. etc. etc. were all bought on the cheap. Now after a year of brewing at least twice a month its time to step up. I will be building a unit with 55 gallon drums. Sure you can spend thousands...I didnt and make just as crappy a beer as the guy with those expensive units. All total I have about $300 invested in my current set up. I converted a 48qt. cooler I had to a tun built the copper manifold with scrap copper pipe. Make an immersion chiller out of a 50ft. piece of 3/8 tubing. The boil kettle is a crab steamer from wally world....works great that was a whopping $28. The mill is a corona from amazon....you dont need those expensive units to make good beer. It might make your brew day easier or a little faster but your beer will not be better. I get %75-80 effeciency every batch unless it is over 15lbs. of grain. Everyone has there own thoughts and ideas on what is best but in the end it is up to you .....:mug:

Well put.
I made almost all my equipment, and I churn out far superior brews to the members of our club who purchased the best of the best equipment.
I think it's because I'm more connected to my beer.. Corny, i know. But True.

BradleyBrew said:
+1... I've gone from a 3 gallon (way to small) to a 5 gallon and now to a 8 gallon kettle. I could have bought a big pretty SS pot from the beginning.

But isn't it good to have a variety of equipment to choose from.. Small batches, sparge water, decoction, experiments, etc.?

Back