Molson Canadian or Labatt's Blue recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfA01

...it ain't sold in heaven...
Reaction score
Anyone have a good AG recipe for Molson Canadian or Labatt's Blue? Two of my top fifteen beers. I used to be able to buy these on the military bases when I was in the service. Over here in Greece they are pretty much unheard of.

I'd love to have a batch of these to take fishing during the summer.

Cheers,
AlfA01

Remember that those are lagers, and are fermented at 50 degrees for about 10-14 days, and then raised to 60 degrees for a day or two, and then held at 34-40 degrees for about 4 weeks. They also require either multiple packages of yeast, or a yeast starter.

For lagers, I make a HUGE starter, then add the yeast when the wort is 48 degrees and the yeast is about 45 degrees. I stick the yeast starter in the fridge for a few days, so that I can decant the spent wort, and then pitch it into the wort.

Remember that those are lagers, and are fermented at 50 degrees for about 10-14 days, and then raised to 60 degrees for a day or two, and then held at 34-40 degrees for about 4 weeks. They also require either multiple packages of yeast, or a yeast starter.

For lagers, I make a HUGE starter, then add the yeast when the wort is 48 degrees and the yeast is about 45 degrees. I stick the yeast starter in the fridge for a few days, so that I can decant the spent wort, and then pitch it into the wort.

Certainly going to well plan the brew. I have available a refrigerator to control brew temps. I don't know the exact temp range, so I may have to go down the to storage room and test it over a couple days to see what temps it is capable of.

I had it my mind to use the BrewFerm yeast for Lagers: http://www.beer-deli.gr/brewferm-lager-12gr.html

Its for fermentation at 12- 15 Celsius.

Any inputs?

Cheers,
AlfA01

Growing up in rural Newfoundland, Canada buying beer pretty much meant buying either Molson Canadian or Labatt's Blue (most of my family prefer Molson). I started home brewing beer to get away from drinking them. To see a post on here looking for a clone recipe kind of threw me for a loop.

Familiarity breeds contempt I guess because I'd never want to make either of these beers myself. But come to think of it on a hot summer day (fishing perhaps) nothing cuts the thirst like an ice cold Molson Canadian. Maybe I should get over myself and admit it's a decent beer.

Feeling the same as DaNeuf. Living in Quebec I do anything to avoid these beers as they are the only 2 we can get on tap here and I don't find them great. For simplicity sake I would brew a cream ale with fresh ingredients. Might be better. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Growing up in rural Newfoundland, Canada buying beer pretty much meant buying either Molson Canadian or Labatt's Blue (most of my family prefer Molson). I started home brewing beer to get away from drinking them. To see a post on here looking for a clone recipe kind of threw me for a loop.

Familiarity breeds contempt I guess because I'd never want to make either of these beers myself. But come to think of it on a hot summer day (fishing perhaps) nothing cuts the thirst like an ice cold Molson Canadian. Maybe I should get over myself and admit it's a decent beer.

I'm a Newf living in Minnesota and I crave them! You can buy them here but it doesn't taste the same. It would be fun to brew a Molson clone

I'm a Newf living in Minnesota and I crave them! You can buy them here but it doesn't taste the same. It would be fun to brew a Molson clone

Forget the Molson clone, if someone produced a clone recipe for Black Horse or Jockey Club my Newfie/homebrewer pride would demand I give it a try at least once.

Agreed. Drank a lot of these when I was out in Newfoundland and also the times I went o Abbotsford. We could also buy them, but they were just much better in Canada.

Same scenario as the other guys are saying happened to me once....I went to a military base with some German guys and all they wanted was Budweiser. What???? Budweiser? You have all your amazing German beers and you want Budweiser? I was shocked!

Anyway, I suppose its a preference thing....

Sometimes experience makes the beer rather than the other way round. Newfoundland is a place that can do that.

Sometimes experience make the beer rather than the other way round. Newfoundland is a place that can do that.

Very true....and, they had this horrible mindbending liquor called Screech (if I spelled it correctly), very similar to Yukon Jack...it was 100 proof and sneaks one hell of punch!

Cheers,
AlfA01

Very true....and, they had this horrible mindbending liquor called Screech (if I spelled it correctly), very similar to Yukon Jack...it was 100 proof and sneaks one hell of punch!

Cheers,
AlfA01

The burn-blue-leave-the-glass-clean screech is an experience for sure, the ouzo in Palaiochora, Crete was a contender. I spent a few months there (part of me never left) when time was endless and there were no rental accommodations.

The burn-blue-leave-the-glass-clean screech is an experience for sure, the ouzo in Palaiochora, Crete was a contender. I spent a few months there (part of me never left) when time was endless and there were no rental accommodations.

One Ouzo...Two Ouzo...Three Ouzo...Floor!

Cheers

Back