moldy rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
My friend that I brew with got his brother to order some hops to grow for us....nice right.... Well he ordered 3 centennial and 3 nuggets. I am not sure wich ones have the mold but I heared that 2 of the rhizomes were kind of moldy. One only had a little and the other was considerably more I guess. Has any one ever had somthin like this?Are they ok or should he try to contact the place he ordered to see about some sort of reimbursment? I think he said they were ordered from ebrew.com. Anybody ever deal with them? Sorry for the lack of info but I am working with third party information. I am hoping to contact the "brother" directly to get a little more thorough info.But thanks for any advice

don't know for sure but mold on anything is not good IMHO! I'd at least call the people/place you ordered them from and talk to them about Replacemnts.

You can always ask about replacements, but I will say that I had one rhizome that looked mushy, moldy and dead (they came about 4 days before my wife went into labor with our first and spent a few weeks in the fridge). That plant took a while to come up, but is doing as well as the others in the second year.

Both my rhizomes this year were moldy, and even though one's doing better than the other, they both started off fine.

I've heard you can use a brush and little bit of vinegar/water mix and scrub off the mold and you'll be fine....

although I ordered my rhizomes this year from NikoBrew on this site and they showed up mold free (shameless plug for niko!)

Carefully wipe them off and plant them. I had some ordered from Freshops last year that were moldy and I emailed them and they sent replacements. However, they grew anyway.

Back