moldy mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

morrillt

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2013
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
The taste... its an off taste that I have never tasted before, it tastes like chemicals or vinager....


I did do an overnight mash and there was a visible mold that was starting to grow, i just figured that i would kill all bacteria in hte boil? is this the origin of hte bad taste?

Besides that everything has been under control, slightly high temps ~ 73 degree peak with safale 05 mostly though hovering at 68.

Did the moldy mash kill my brew?
 

ColoHox

Compulsive Hand Washer
Joined
Oct 21, 2011
Messages
1,773
Reaction score
403
Location
Fort Collins
There is a difference between mold and bacteria. 24 hours is probably too soon for visible mold colonies to show up, but probably not too soon for visible bacterial colonies.

What temperature did you keep your mash at and why do an overnight mash? An overnight mash is normally used to produce sour beer, for this reason. A vinegar taste is from a bacterial infection. However, it is hard to say what the source of those flavors is, whether it was from the sour mash or a contaminated fermenter or other equipment.

You can sit on the batch and see what happens with it, but beware of bottle bombs. It also sounds like, aside from the sour mash, that you may need to give all your stuff a really good cleaning.
 

Latest posts

Top