Moldy bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KENfromMI

Reaction score
After tasting some of my wine my neighbor wants to give it a try as well. He was excited about getting about 200 bottles for free. They were rinsed after use but stored upright and have a few spots of mold in them. Anyone have any ideas how they can be cleaned? I was going to use a mild bleach solution like I have in the past for beer making but I just read in a wine making book never to use any type of bleach near any type of wine making equipment as it can cause an entire infection in your cellar area that you may never be able to get rid of and can infect your wine for years because it becomes airborne. Anyone heard of this and have a good way to clean bottles? Thanks in advance, Ken

Oxyclean and hot water, soaking overnight, followed by a thorough rinse, then a sanitation or an acid rinse by starsan or vinegar/water, will do the trick.

Also a jet bottle washer, is prefect to break up any mold and to rinse out any of the oxyclean, which may leave a scale depending on the hardness of your water.

Brass_washer.jpg

Are you refering to the oxyclean from the commercials with the hyper guy with the big mouth and beard? Ken

Are you refering to the oxyclean from the commercials with the hyper guy with the big mouth and beard? Ken

That's it..We brewers have probaly made him even richer over the last few years...

This will give you an idea of how high we hold it in our esteem...

oxyclean_copy.jpg

So obviously if you have any questions, then do a search, you won't have ANY trouble finding the info you need on it. :D

Doesn't the OX in Ox...yclean stand for the same OX as the OX in Chlor...OX?

Namely...an OX...idizing bleach!

Pogo

EDIT - Also, I would NEVER rinse bottles that I intended to bottle wine in with VINEGAR!!!

Doesn't the OX in Ox...yclean stand for the same OX as the OX in Chlor...OX?

Namely...an OX...idizing bleach!

Pogo

EDIT - Also, I would NEVER rinse bottles that I intended to bottle wine in with VINEGAR!!!

They Oxy in the title has to do with the Oxygen released by the mixture of it an water....Oxyclean is sodium percarbonate...

And you only need to use vingegar to cut the scale if you don't have starsan AND you have hard water, which mixes withthe oxyclean sometimes to produce a scale...and after you rinsed them with the vinegar (which is just a weak acid) you would OF COURSE rince off the vinegar, and then sanitize them...so you would never know that vinegar had touched it....

Back