Moldy Bag Salvageable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
*sigh* Emptied my bag after a brew two weeks ago, but neglected to wash it out. Ran it through the washing machine on delicate cycle twice. Has no smell, but still has some black spots from the mold stained on it. Can it still be used or should I get a new bag? I figure it's going to boil, but then don't want any off flavors getting in...
Thanks for any tips!

My experience it wont all come off but you can boil the crap out of it and still use it. Wont affect the flavour but made me feel uncomfortable lol.

Be careful boiling bags. Not all, but with some the mesh tightens up, pores getting smaller, from what I've read. Depends on the material used I guess.

I've had some stains and mold grow in neglected hop bags (used in the kettle/boil). After boiling them in PBW for an hour, then soaked in bleach for days, the stains had diminished.
I now keep them in a bucket with Starsan for weeks or months at end. That seems to clear them too.

Mine moulds all the time. I clean it outside with a hosepipe, after which I just hang it in the sun to dry. Every now and again it gets some warm water and Sodium Percarbonate to clean it up nicely. Beers are all fine.

I've done something similar once or twice and I just soak it in bleach solution overnight or longer (is a pattern forming?) and it's been fine as far as I can tell. Bleach is great. And it kind of smells a little bit great too when you imagine it's killing your worst enemies. F*ck 'em! Kill! Kill! Kill!

I was about to tag a Slayer tune, getting so exited :ghostly:

Last edited:
You might end up with a more stained bag, but a good dose of Iodaphore kills a wide spectrum of nasty stuff. Maybe follow up with an exposure to bleach and you should be good to go.

Remember grain comes with all kinds of spores and micro a bad stuff. The stuff that made your bag moldy in the first place came from your malted grains. Once you clean your bag of nasties, next mash you are going to expose it to more of the same.

Last edited:
I've left mine full of wet grain a few times but no black mold spots or anything. It has gotten super stinky a time or two so I wash it with bleach or boil it. It don't look real pretty but still gets the job done 60+ batches in. A million thanks to @wilserbrewer for showing me the way and the light.

Last edited:
I'd clean it in hot PBW or Oxiclean, rinse well, and then boil for 20 minutes or so. You can throw a bleach soak in if you want also, just be sure to rinse really well.

Brew on :mug:

This. PBW or Oxi will kick that mold in the short hairs.

Happened to my brew bag, and the guys at brewinabag recommended soaking it overnight in PBW then running it through the dishwasher to sanitize. I've used it twice since and it's been fine, weird stains and all.

OxiClean or a store-brand knock-off works quite well. Copious rinsing and air drying. Has never failed me when this happens.

This. PBW or Oxi will kick that mold in the short hairs.
Can confirm as well. I left my bag sitting in grains for over 2 weeks. Looked nasty AF. Soaked it in PBW for a couple days and it came out looking almost brand new. Almost none of the discoloration from the mold was left over, just a tiny, tiny bit in some of the nylon webbing straps.

I avoid using bleach on principle, let alone on anything brewing related. If you're concerned about any bugs getting in your beer that would survive the boil (which I doubt would happen) give it a little spritz or short soak with some isopropyl alcohol (supposedly 70-80% is ideal).

Back