Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Carlito2017

Reaction score
I am fairly new to beer making, i have made about a dozen 5 Gallon batches. This was a twocan coopers Real ale and IPA. After 3 days of fermenting I added a chucks with fresh hops from the hop farm. this is now 4 days later and SG is 1.010 and I was about to bottle today and when I took off the lid of the primary there was a white film with some small white chunky clusters. I skimmed them off and had a taste. Actually tastes OK. Iny words of wisdom on this? I'm hoping to bottle today. The only difference with this batch is that we are in summer heat wave and the room temp has been about 75° or 24C

Last edited:

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
Reaction score
It's important to distinguish between mold and a pellicle.

Could you post a clear photo?

Suburban Punk

Reaction score
dry hop with "fresh hops from the hop farm"? Were they not dried? You run a huge risk of contamination using wet(fresh, not dried) hops after fermentation. Even if no infection is present the flavor may be extremely grassy, but should get better over time.

OP
C

Carlito2017

Reaction score
dry hop with "fresh hops from the hop farm"? Were they not dried? You run a huge risk of contamination using wet(fresh, not dried) hops after fermentation. Even if no infection is present the flavor may be extremely grassy, but should get better over time.
Actually they were dried. I was just trying to say that they weren't pellets. Anyway I have done some reading and seems not all is lost. Skimmed the the top and siphoned out of the middle leaving the top floaters. Bottled and will see what it tastes like.