Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Death before decaf

New Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
This has grown on the top of my imperial stout that i have sitting in secondary. It has only starting growing about 3 days ago. The white dots are almost beginning to look a little fuzzy which worries me..
 

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Joined
Aug 6, 2011
Messages
18,741
Reaction score
5,483
Location
Edgewater
Yep, that is infected. If you want you can keep it around for about a year and see if you get lucky and have a good sour beer.

Advise - skip the secondary. They don't do much but increase the chance of infection or oxidation of both.
 

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
Joined
Jan 26, 2017
Messages
9,231
Reaction score
7,609
Location
Cleveland
It's a pellicle. I don't see any mold.

It's been contaminated with wild yeast and/or bacteria. It's not dangerous.

+1 In the future, skip the secondary. It increases oxidation and risk of contamination. Pellicles only form when oxygen is present.

If it smells good, taste it. If it tastes good, I suggest packaging immediately. If you bottle, just monitor to make sure they don't start to over-carbonate.

Letting it sit longer would increase oxidation and allow development of off-flavors from the wild microbes + oxygen.

Clean your equipment thoroughly.

Welcome to HBT!
 
Top