Mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobie

Reaction score
This is how my first batch of beer looks after 7 days. (Two containers) I sanitized carefully, and the beer under the top tastes sweet, but not bad. The hydrometer sinks to the bottom. Should I wait this out or start over?

WP_20140425_001.jpg

WP_20140425_002.jpg

I was meticulous about cleaning stuff, which was all new anyway, bleached the windowless room I stored it in, turned off the lights, closed the door, and didn't open the door until I took these pictures. Assuming that it's contaminated, what could I have done wrong? And assuming it's okay, does yeast/hops produce residues in five different colors? (white, black, green, tan, pink).

Meticulous is good, but if you missed just one thing, then it's all for naught. On the other hand, I'm way less meticulous, and have never had an infection.

If it's infected, you cannot fix it. So assume that it's not, let it ride, taste it after a few weeks. In the meantime, relax and have a beer.

Is that white fuzzy mold or just a reflection from the flash in the bucket? i would dump this if it were mine.

Also where did you get this bucket?

I'm no expert, but from the pics it looks like there is a lot of head space in the fermenter. A blanket of CO2 will keep nasties away but u can only ask so much of it. In my experience, you want the fermenter to be at least 2/3 to 3/4 full to help the CO2 do it's thing and not let household air get a leg up.

4-5 funny colors - that sux. It's ugly. If that were the only problem I'd be inclined to rack from under it but you said the hydrometer sunk to the bottom. If the bugs have eaten to the point that the gravity is that low it's not a beer i'd be interested in. Sorry man.

Is that white fuzzy mold or just a reflection from the flash in the bucket? i would dump this if it were mine.

Also where did you get this bucket?
Bucket was from Lowe's, but food grade. Yeah, that's fuzz, not a reflection.

I'm no expert, but from the pics it looks like there is a lot of head space in the fermenter. A blanket of CO2 will keep nasties away but u can only ask so much of it. In my experience, you want the fermenter to be at least 2/3 to 3/4 full to help the CO2 do it's thing and not let household air get a leg up.
Thanks, I'll remember that for next time.

I would rack the beer from under the infection. Leave a few inches that you don't suck up, bottle and give it a few weeks. I would definitely expect the worst, it looks terrible to me, but aside from wasting time it couldn't hurt. I had a one gallon batch of cider that got infected but was still really good. Although my wife hated it I actually liked the slight sour. Don't use the same bucket again.

I was meticulous about cleaning stuff, which was all new anyway, bleached the windowless room I stored it in, turned off the lights, closed the door, and didn't open the door until I took these pictures. Assuming that it's contaminated, what could I have done wrong? And assuming it's okay, does yeast/hops produce residues in five different colors? (white, black, green, tan, pink).

You don't say whether you had a lid on the bucket? If not, I'd guess that's how it got infected.

That is definitely mold and infection. That is not what normal hop residue and fermentation looks like. I would dump it.

That's a nasty looking infection. I would usually side with "rack it from the bottom..." etc, however this looks quite bad. Dump it. What kind of sanitizer are you using? I've never had an issue with Star-san. Works great.

Back