Mold, Should i keep it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmoney1215

Reaction score
Well here is what I have. This is a hefeweizen been in the primary 2.5 weeks, checked it about 5 days ago and looked good, checked it tonight and had this on both fermentors. It smells like old fruit. First time this has ever happened to me, really bummed about it..

20150430_203114.jpg

Post a closer-up, higher res photo. It'll let us see what it really is.

My heart feels like i just caught my prom date banging another dude in the bathroom, and im just here like WTF!!

Your beer looks like it just has yeast rafts but that growth on the lid doesn't look good. Wash the lid very well and sanitize it before you use it again. Taste the beer. Nothing that can harm you will grow in beer so if it tastes good you can bottle it. If it tastes bad, dump it.

Your beer in the primary should be protected from infections by the CO2 layer but when you opened the lid to check the beer the lid was exposed to oxygen and mold spores which quickly grew on the krausen stuck to the lid. Next time you brew and remove the lid to check the beer, wash off any krausen stuck there and sanitize it before you put it back on.

The surface does look like that broken ice pack lacto infection. But the chunky stuff could be yeast rafts & proteins or something.

Yikes. That doesn't look good. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the beer looks like it's probably infected. The lid definitely needs to be cleaned and sanitized. If do that, then let it ride for a week or two and check back. If it looks okay, give it a taste. If it tastes bad, then dump it. If is good, bottle/keg it.

Why not just take a sample and see what it tastes like? It won't hurt you, but it might save you the trouble of bottling it all up only to dump it again.

Probably no need to sanitize a thief just for that... ;)

Back