Mold on top of lagering corny keg. How to clean?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

greenbirds

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
441
Reaction score
9
I have been lagering a batch of Munich Helles in a corny in a walk-in refrigerator at my workplace. The walk-in is not dehumidified, and apparently there was some beer splatter on the surface of my keg (probably from purging with the pressure relief valve). Now I have hundreds of little mold colonies growing on the surface of the corny top.

I think the beer inside is probably fine, since the corny is (hopefully still) sealed under pressure, but I am concerned about the posts and the valve. So my plan was to duct tape the chimes and fill the "bowl" with .. something. I'm nervous. Bleach would corrode the stainless, no? Maybe oxyclean, but it works better warm, and I don't want to let this thing warm up.

Any ideas?
 

TipsyDragon

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
2,607
Reaction score
25
Location
California
PBW is only a cleaner not a sanitizer. starsan may kill the mold I'm not sure. if the bleach would corrode the stainless it would take a while ... so clean it off after a couple of min. the oxyclean may work too. just make sure it doesn't come in contact with the beer or it may oxidize the beer. but seeing as it is in a sealed container it shouldn't be a problem.
 
OP
greenbirds

greenbirds

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
441
Reaction score
9
Hmmm, I suppose that is an option. I guess I could wipe down the posts very well and give them a good star-san spray down?. Then connect the out disconnect of this keg to the out disconnect of the new keg via a short jumper?
 

springer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
4,736
Reaction score
33
Location
Wappingers falls NY
bleach will kill the mold and as long as its not in contact for extended period of time and flushed will not hurt the SS.
 
OP
greenbirds

greenbirds

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
441
Reaction score
9
In case anyone has this problem in the future, I chose to go with the duct tape and bleach route. Wrapped 3 or 4 times around the top, pressed it down nice and tight, and made a 1:4 solution bleach to warm water, enough to cover the tops of the posts. After about 30 minutes, I dragged the kegs out of the walk-in, removed the tape, and hosed them down really well. Just about all the mold came off, any stubbon deposits I hit with a toothbrush. And the beer survived just fine :)
 

david_42

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2005
Messages
25,582
Reaction score
182
Location
Oak Grove
Thanks for following up. I just haul out the pressure washer and blast mine.
 
Top