Mold on the surface of the beer in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mtnagel

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Apr 15, 2012
Messages
2,492
Reaction score
433
Location
Cincinnati
So a few friends and I brewed the same beer and put it in a barrel to age it. Well it turned sour. I ended up bottling it and it actually has become pretty tasty. One of the guys aged his on cherries and it scored very well in a competition. Well they’ve been in the bottle for about 1.5 years (always in a Rubbermaid tote, but carbonation has been stable) and I just noticed that on the surface of the beer in the bottle, there is, what I assume to be, mold. It’s not much, just a few spots, but it’s in every bottle I have. It’s entirely likely that it’s been there for a while and I’ve drank it before with seemingly no ill effects. So can I continue to drink these?
 

theDREWery

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2014
Messages
291
Reaction score
79
Location
Mount Pleasant
It may be a pellicle from the sour bugs. You may want to try asking in lambic & wild brews, pics will help too.
 
OP
M

mtnagel

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Apr 15, 2012
Messages
2,492
Reaction score
433
Location
Cincinnati
It may be a pellicle from the sour bugs. You may want to try asking in lambic & wild brews, pics will help too.
Yeah, I'll get a pic tonight.

It could also be from the bottling process. If some spilled on the outside or overflowed during bottling, and wasn't rinsed off, I've had that tiny residue mold.
This is on the inside of every remaining bottle on surface of the beer.
 

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
33,312
Reaction score
5,712
Location
Reed City, MI
It's probably a pellicle. I have never (and will never) make a sour on purpose, but I assume that some bugs can create a pellicle during the souring phase. It's usually left in a carboy or secondary, but if the souring happened inside the bottle, they will likely be a film/growth on the surface. I think a gentle shake might loosen it up and let it sink to the bottom. Don't know.

You might just want to have a tiny pool skimmer for serving this one.
 

normonster

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
1,484
Reaction score
408
I bet if you cold conditioned them a for a week it would all fall to the bottom.

Sounds kind of cool. I have a Rye Pale in a barrel and it has been in there for like a year now.....I'll probably have to bottle it and leave it in bottles for 2 years before it is drinkable, but hey, I've been busy. :)
 
OP
M

mtnagel

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Apr 15, 2012
Messages
2,492
Reaction score
433
Location
Cincinnati
If it's pellicle it's safe, if it's mold it's probably still safe but the beer will end up tasting like crap.
Haha. It tasted pretty good maybe a month ago.

I bet if you cold conditioned them a for a week it would all fall to the bottom.
Maybe that's why I didn't notice it in previous bottles. It crashed to the bottom and I left behind the stuff at the bottom of the bottle.
 

normonster

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
1,484
Reaction score
408
Haha. It tasted pretty good maybe a month ago.


Maybe that's why I didn't notice it in previous bottles. It crashed to the bottom and I left behind the stuff at the bottom of the bottle.
Oah no...don't waste it...just drink it with the last sip. Took a long time and some miracles of nature to make that mold.

:)
 

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
33,312
Reaction score
5,712
Location
Reed City, MI
It's not surface mold. Mold requires some oxygen and there isn't likely to be enough to contribute to much growth inside a bottle. This is why you see mold growing ON THE TOP of a liquid. It's probably a standard souring bug.

In any case, it won't hurt you.
 
OP
M

mtnagel

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Apr 15, 2012
Messages
2,492
Reaction score
433
Location
Cincinnati
Oh and I did have one in the fridge for awhile and it never crashed down to the bottom. It just stayed on the surface of the beer.
 
Top