mold on my gear - advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoney66

Reaction score
I was moving my beer stuff into another room at the house over the weekend, and noticed my container with all my tubing/siphons/botteling stuff had some mold growing on it. I'm thinking last time I used anything was a couple of weeks ago when transfering a brew from primary to secondary. So when I put the stuff back into the container and closed the lid there was some moisture still on things and possibly some beer residue. This is obviously the cause of the moldy sight. It's not overwhelming, but some bits here and there on stuff.

So question is - will i be ok just cleaning up everything with a Oxyclean soak or is some other drastic measure needed?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
~larry

Bleach holocaust and replace all tubing. You might be able to clean the tubing so that it doesn't pose a problem but tube is cheap and peace of mind is an incalculable expense.

And better cleaning after use next time. :D

I would dump all the hoses and tubes and replace them.

The hard plastic stuff I would oxyclean, then bleach bomb, then rinse and then re-sanitize with starsan....

But soft plastic...nah, I would scrap...

Is your bottling bucket spigot, and auto siphon moldy as well??? DOn't forget to treat them too.

I once discovered some of my fermenter buckets covered inside with black mold. Frightening site I'll tell ya'. After a google or two I decided it wasn;t worth pitching the buckets and soaked them with acidualted bleach ala Talley followed by a thorough spritz with StarSan and then upside down air dried for a week before storing them away.

Yeah bottling spig is in there as well.
So basically all the soft plastic is screwed?

How much bleach/water combo should I use do you guys think?

again - thanks

The chuck talley recipe is...

1 ounce bleach(Preferably a no-name brand)
5 gallons of water
1 ounce vinegar added after you have diluted the bleach with the water...Danger Will RObinson, if you don't

Latest posts

Back