Mold on my beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allergic2hops

Reaction score
I just went to rack my pumpkin to secondary and when I pulled it from my fermentor, I had 3 large (palm sized) floating islands of mold on top. I have had problems with my big mouth bubbler for most of this year, I think this thing is letting air in. This is the only thing I can think of that would allow this. Anyone have this happen before?

A2H

Generally air leaks in primary are not a concern. The positive pressure of the fermentation prevents anything from getting in.

Can you describe your process of adding pumpkin? Perhaps the ingredients weren't sanitized before being added? There could also be mold in any part of the system that contacts the beer after chilling that can cause problems.

Homercidal, Its taken quite a while but I have figured out the problem. The big mouth bubbler I ordered has a defective design on the lid. Its a hard plastic ridge that doesn't seal the air against the pressure released by the yeast. I finally ordered a universal lid for the big mouth bubbler and the difference was immediate and amazing. If you have one and think your lid works fine, take a risk and order one for $6 and see for yourself. Its amazing the difference. Air got in and create an environment for the mold. Nevermore!

Homercidal, Its taken quite a while but I have figured out the problem. The big mouth bubbler I ordered has a defective design on the lid. Its a hard plastic ridge that doesn't seal the air against the pressure released by the yeast. I finally ordered a universal lid for the big mouth bubbler and the difference was immediate and amazing. If you have one and think your lid works fine, take a risk and order one for $6 and see for yourself. Its amazing the difference. Air got in and create an environment for the mold. Nevermore!

Doubtful. My plastic buckets are notorious for leaking around the lid and I don't get any mold on my beer. I think you need to find another cause.

That is the cause. You aren't here and haven't done the analysis I've done. I am providing this as a helpful warning. You don't have to agree and I don't care if you don't.

Latest posts

Back