Mold in Secondary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsig83

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed a pumpkin stout about a month ago and tomorrow is bottling day. Upon checking the secondary I saw small green bulbus things with a white rim. There is about 10 spores ranging from 1 cm to 2mm. Any ideas?

It was in primary about 2 weeks and secondary 10 days. Can there beer be salvaged? If so, how should I approach this? I read some other posts and it seems like it could be saved. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If I were you I would bottle from the bottom and leave a buffer zone (area with infection) on top. Maybe leave a six pack or so behind. But I would still bottle it and let it age. One of my best beers was what my friends referred to as wacky wheat, because it taste horrible the first 2-3 months from some infection but turned out awesome a year later.

So yes it sounds like you have an infection, but I wouldn't pour it out or write it off. Instead bottle it and age it see what happen. A year from now if it sucks toss it, but you never know until you try.

Back