Mold in my homebrew??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtgirl20

Reaction score
I started it a few days ago with the juice, sugar and yeast, this one had a homemade air lock so today I looked at it and seen mold on the top how could this be? I have not opened it or anything

Can you take a picture. It's doubtful it's mold. Mold is really rare, since it can grow in anaerobic enviroments...and it usually doesn't come up that fast anyway....

There is 3 spots

image-1241692198.jpg

Yeah that looks like mold to me.

What was this 'homemade airlock'?

Did you sanitize the bucket?

Did you boil or heat the beer/cider/wine/hooch?

I boiled the homemade air lock and the Hose I used, for the bottle I just bought a bottle of juice from Walmart, pour about 1 cup out added 2 cups sugar shook added yeast then put my air lock on

gtgirl20 said:
I boiled the homemade air lock and the Hose I used, for the bottle I just bought a bottle of juice from Walmart, pour about 1 cup out added 2 cups sugar shook added yeast then put my air lock on

Could cold be a problem? I can't keep it above 63-66 in my room

Eh that may have slowed the yeast down from starting and allowed time to let the mold take over instead.

What kind of yeast did you use?

You may want to buy some one step or some star san to sanitize everything that comes in contact with the wine next time. You might should rack it off to a sanitized bucket staying off bottom and under the mold. Add a c tab for each gallon and continue on. Mike

kpr121 said:
Eh that may have slowed the yeast down from starting and allowed time to let the mold take over instead.

What kind of yeast did you use?

Brewers yeast from homebrew on amazon

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer said:
You may want to buy some one step or some star san to sanitize everything that comes in contact with the wine next time. You might should rack it off to a sanitized bucket staying off bottom and under the mold. Add a c tab for each gallon and continue on. Mike

I'm gonna go ahead and start over

Back