mold in my bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas_Brew

Reaction score
I just rinsed my bottles(most of them are dark brown) with a bleach water solution and I bottled them. after bottling I took a good look at a Heineken bottle that I had in the mix of bottles and I noticed fuzzy looking dots on the inside and you cant tell if this is in any of the brown bottles . should i toss the bath? or can I feel safe that the bleach water solution would had killed any mold in the bottles?:confused:

If the bottles soaked in the solution for at least 15-30 minutes I wouldn't worry about it. That bleach kills anything growing and usually will help release any buildup inside the bottles. I usually rinse my bottles two or three times before storing them away so that when I'm ready to use them stuff isn't growing inside. I would suggest pouring the beer into a glass before consuming just to make sure no black mold spores are in there.

well I guess ill throw out the one Im worried about cross my fingers and hope for the best. Ill pour in a glass as I always do. and Ill be the first guinea pig . hell alcohol Is suppose to kill stuff like that off anyway. I think worst case scenario it may taste a little funky

Good luck with that! It is a horrible feeling to crack open that first bottle after weeks or even months of anticipation and find that some foreign bacteria has taken over and ruined your entire batch. Lets hope yours is OK...

Just to reassure you, there is nothing harmful that can grow in beer. Period. Just lots of stuff that tastes awful.;)

I opened one bottle and it did have something black floating inside I pored it out. I have been checking some other bottles under a light and I don't see anything black but it does appear that I do have some sort of settlement at the bottom that can become a little foggy when slushing the bottle around .Im thinking this is only yeast . I will open another bottle soon for inspection

Sounds like you did not clean your bottles well after drinking the original contents, and got some mold growing on the residual beer in the bottle. Then did not rinse it well.

If you used some form of sanitizer before bottling, everything will be fine. You just got some dead clumps of moldy crap in there. Try to strain them through your teeth as you drink, then rinse better next time.

Try to strain them through your teeth as you drink
LOL I opened a bottle last night that one was fine. next time im going to soak them jokers in strong bleach water a few days before and get me a bottle brush. im also rinsing all my bottles out just after they are empty'd of their original contents

Latest posts

Back