mold in keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLM

Reaction score
I opened up my keezer yesterday and noticed small amounts of mold on my kegs here and there.
anyway of keeping it from growing?
I did notice some moisture here and there in the keezer

Wash everything down with some hot oxyclean solution. I do that and then spray everything down with Star San. Mold formation in a high humidity location is almost inevitable. Keeping everything as clean and dry as possible is the best defense. Excessive condensation accumulation is an indication of an air leak somewhere. Check your gaskets and the integrity of the collar (if you have one installed). Damp Rid can go a long way to mitigate condensation problems.

Moisture is the Achilles heal of the Keezer.

Damp rid is a good idea.

Do not use bleach to kill the mold. Bleach and stainless steel do not work well together.

thanks for the replys
there is only a little bit of moisture on the inside sides of the keezer the seal is in good shape so dont think thats a problem
I am going to pick up somr damp rid today and give that a try

+1 on the Damp Rid, I had a bad problem with humidty build up in my keezer. But I now use 2 of the small containers of damp rid and my keezer is nice and dry. Also like was said above check your seals, even though they may look good you may still be letting outside air in.

+1 damp rid and then http://www.milazzoindustries.com/qik-joe.htm which is a cheaper way to refill your damp rid container when it runs out. Also handy for the snow on driveway/sidewalk.

I have damp-rid or a similar product in both my kegorator and my fermentation chamber (keezer-like) and it does work very well. Any hints on where to buy the above mentioned product?

Back