Mold growing on labels.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4mmy86

Reaction score
Just bought a Devils Backbone sampler pack at the local grocery store, got home, opened the box and there is green fuzzy mold growing in spots on some of the labels. Should I complain? It was the last sampler of its kind so I kind of want to keep it. I don't want to complain to the brewery, as is likely the store or distributor at fault... Thoughts?

Sorry, phone troubles

1410036635401.jpg

I'd open 1 and see if the beer is ok (probably is). If it's not, then return it.

Clean the bottles off.

Funny thing, It's only on the White Stag IPAs, not the other bottles. I'm sipping a dark lager now and it seems fine. Perhaps a little oxidized (temperature fluctuation?) or perhaps just paranoia. I'm far from BJCP certified so I could be wrong. I sprayed the bottles with StarSan and will try one shortly.

If the beer is holding pressure the mold is sealed away from the inside.

My guess is at some point, they got wet or something and didn't dry out properly. As long as the bottles are sealed, I'd say they are probably good.

Back