Molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

higechops

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

Looking at brewing with molasses. the question i have is does it change the gravity, color, things of that nature. when writing a recipe, will it change any variables? Also, is there a better kind or brand? when is the best time in the boil process to introduce? or would it be better to carbonate and achieve the same flavor?

thanks

I have used blackstrap molasses in an extract stout before. Obviously any color characteristics were hidden by the already opaque nature of the beer. Its flavor contribution was very noticeable in the volume I used which was about two cups for a 1.045 OG 5 gallon batch.

It has a relatively low fermentable content (slightly lower than raw cane or beet sugar).

I would experiment with it again if I have a low cost source now that I am more experienced but it is not a cheap adjunct. FYI, black treacle...in Brit-speak...same stuff.

Right now I am shooting for OG around 1.092, final abv 8.5%. wondering if i would need to put more than 2 cups.

Back