Modifying pumpkin ale to a pumpkin pie ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gergyboy13

Reaction score
I m relatively new to home brewing and trying to start making adjustments to others recipes before moving on to making my own recipes.

I want to make a partial mash pumpkin pie ale based on using the pumpkin ale recipe below
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413391884.875448.jpg

Does anyone have a good recommendation on how to modify this recipe to get a crust flavoring?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Add 4 ozs of Biscuit Malt to the steep? Not sure if you'd be able to get the crust flavor really easily with the pumpkin and spice.

I have come across a few that mention using some additional grains that almost add the cracker crust taste which is what I would like to add to this (I have no idea if it already has it)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I get what you are going for, the crusty bread taste only shows up in very few commercial examples. The other hard part is actually getting any pumpkin over top of the spices in too many beers.

Yes some biscuit or some lighter Crystal, like a 20 or a 40 to add a bit of caramel mouthfeel that will fit in.

Or...if you want to get super crazy, get some flaked oats and toast them in oven at about 350F until they are about tan or a little more. Brown is too far for this. I would say about 8oz, but that will be difficult to toast that little, you'd have to be careful, or toast more and only use some and put rest into the SO's oatmeal and claim it is special high end oatmeal. :D

As for the pumpkin, and this is beyond what you are asking, most brewers try to roast that too for a bit to carmalize the top of it. Using cans you are using a paste, then spread that out in a pie tin, put pie tin on a cookie sheet and bake it for a bit till the top turns crusty and brown...those are the pumpkin flavors instead of the squash flavors.

However, every one of those steps makes the whole thing more complicated for a new brewer. lol.

You can also just read up on grains and flavors, something like this or other sites:
http://hbd.org/brewery/library/Malt101.html

So this already has crystal 90 L so do you think i should change anything or do you think this already will have that caramel taste you are talking about and with using the toasted pumpkin and oats would that all go in during the boil where this recipe calls for pumpking?

Biscuit or victory malt would give u a toasty biscuit taste. Maybe scraping a vanilla bean, or a piece of one, would help with pie crust flavor. (And use the bean.....or at the very least top notch extract)

I would add a bit, 8oz of the crystal 20 with the 90. They are two different flavors. The toasted oats are also a mashing ingredient, so you are putting those in with the grains from the recipe for ~30 minutes.

Then the roasted pumpkin would go in to the boil like it says there.

That's the way I would do it. And yes like others said, you could use the biscuit instead of the lighter crystal, and it would go in with the other grains instead.

I have heard that if you are going for the over the top pie / graham cracker aroma ala Pumpking that you need to use Capella Graham Cracker flavor extract. Never tried it though.

Latest posts

Back