modifying Midwest supplies autumn amber ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottab

Reaction score
How would you mod this brew?

Here is the recipe:

6lb golden amber lme
2oz special b
8oz crystal 80l
2ozroasted barley
1oz hallertau (bittering)
1oz fuggle (aroma)
1pack headwaters strain yeast

As normal the grains are added to a bag then steeped 10-30 min at 155 degrees
(The instructions actually say to add to kettle before turning on the heat.)
Add all lme bring to boil
Add hallertau boil 60 min
Add fuggle at last 2 minutes
Remove from heat chill, add yeast primary 1 week, secondary 1 week then bottle

End recipe.

I was thinking of better utilizing the hops by adding only 2lb of the lme for the full 60 min then the rest at flame out.
Was also thinking of swapping the hops around and using the fuggle as bittering and the hallertau for aroma.

Another thought was to add 1lb amber (or pilsen) dme to the recipe and at least another oz of bittering hops whichever i choose to make more like an octoberfest style... i believe this brews original style is american amber or american brown.

Any suggestions?

That was my very first extract brew and it turned out well. Very little in the way of hop bitterness but a balanced session beer by the recipe. I wouldn't change a thing other than another oz. of late addition hops maybe.

Since i wanted a more balanced taste i decided to boil 2# of lme with the fuggle which had alpha of 5.7% then add the rest of the lme @-15min and the hallertau aa 2.4 @ -5min

I did this kit with the late LME extract addition and whirlfloc and it came out very clear in the keg. Also used wheast 1056 on my batch. Finished at 1.008 which I contributed to yeast starter, good aeration, and late extract addition. Did not have much hop flavor initially so also did a 1 oz dry hop of fuggles in the keg. This is an easy drinking session beer in the mid 4% ABV range. If you want something stronger add more DME to the kit for higher SG, and higher ABV

I made a starter with the headwater strain but after 3 hours wasn't seeing any activity with it... if the brew does not start off by end of tomorrow will pitch with washed 1056 which i have a good 2" slurry in a 1qt mason jar from my last brew.

Just as Silverbullit said, this was my first extract as well. I added 1oz of cascades in the last 5 min. Turned out very well and my friends killed my keg in 2 days. I will definitely make it again and probably add another oz of bittering hops. As for not seeing activity, it took mine a good 12 hours to take off and the airlock was silent in 36 hours. That seemed quick to me, but it still turned out great. It hit FG in 8 days. 7 more days in the carboy and it was a great session beer.

I did a full boil and used S-05 and added maybe half an ounce of Magnum with 10 minutes to go. Oh, I was never going to use this 1% boost I have had for a year or so, so I threw that in as well.

So after moding this brew and using the fuggle for the bitter with 2lbs of lme and the hallertau for the aroma and adding 1oz of palisade for dry hop my brew is good but slightly more bitter than it should be but still a good brew.

Back